Forums Latest Members
  1. John R Smith May 23, 2013

Greetings from Cornwall, UK

I am very new around here, but just a quick question. I have a very lovely 1954 Omega Constellation gold cap with the 354 'bumper' movement. This seems hale and hearty, and is keeping time to within 5 secs a day, but -

Desmond Guilfoyle on his blog recommends getting hold of a backup movement for spares, just in case. The question is, what would be a fair or sensible price to pay for a 354 movement only (not chronometer certified) just for spares, which is in good working order?

Many thanks for your help

John

2. prostie1200 May 23, 2013

Hi John
    I think it is a good idea to buy some back up units for spares - as regards price I just paid £70 for a 354 adjusted 5 including temp and a 564 for £57
    gives peace of mind for the future.

Enjoy the site

Brian

3. ulackfocus May 23, 2013

Hi John. Welcome to ΩF. You should be able to pick up a movement only for $100 or less. I try to stay under $50 for parts movements if I can. Most of the 35x series has interchangeable parts so you could use a more common 351 if necessary. The only one of that series that would have some mismatch parts is the 352 - the regulator is different. No big deal though, because the 352 would be much more expensive anyway which would not make it ideal as a donor.

4. John R Smith May 23, 2013

Brian and Dennis

Thanks for your incredibly prompt replies. Those are useful ballpark figures, and seem very reasonable as an affordable insurance policy! It looks like this is a very active and well-visited forum . . .

John