Caliber 1030 Omega - seconds hand

Good morning to the OF community,

As always, I should thank everybody for the shared knowledge. I have been hanging around here for about a year, it is a gold mine.

Struggling to fit seconds hand on a 1030 caliber, I looked on the internet and found this:
upload_2024-1-20_6-10-7.png

This specific movement holder does not seem to exist anymore, I turned to Bergeon who still sell a 12 1/2 holder that could do even if it slightly too large. Any tricks from enthusiasts out there to support the seconds pinion and set the hand without this ?

Thanks

Tom

Do you really need the tool? I know the second pinion is only held by a thin piece of metal arm, but you don't need much force to push the second hand down. I have done this on a 1020 movement which is similar to 1030, without even being aware of such tool. Perhaps, you should ask this in the watchmaking sub forum where you can get expert's opinion. I'm not a watchmaker.

Like 1
Do you really need the tool? I know the second pinion is only held by a thin piece of metal arm, but you don't need much force to push the second hand down. I have done this on a 1020 movement which is similar to 1030, without even being aware of such tool. Perhaps, you should ask this in the watchmaking sub forum where you can get expert's opinion. I'm not a watchmaker.
Thanks for the feedback.
Hand won’t stay in position when I use my hand setting tool.

I will re-post on the sub forum !

Tom

This specific movement holder does not seem to exist anymore

That movement holder certainly does exist. It's used for several Omega caliber families, so the 1000 series, 1010/1020/1030 series, 550/560/750 series, etc.

Finding it on the open market may be difficult, as it's only available to watchmakers who have an Omega parts account. In reality, any 12.5 ligne holder will likely work. Before I had the Omega holder I used a Horotec holder...

Like 2
With the auto-wind bridge off you should be able to set the hand easily enough.

If it’s taking that much pressure something else is wrong…

With the auto-wind bridge off you should be able to set the hand easily enough.

If it’s taking that much pressure something else is wrong…

There’s no automatic bridge on a 1030, as it’s a manual winding movement. In any case, on the 1010 series, you need to support the seconds pinion when you are pressing the hand in place...

I must be thinking of another series then.
565 I have no trouble without supporting the center other than a clean surface and the bridge removed.

It shouldn’t take that much force to set a hand, or is there something unusual about this movement?

Just to clarify the 1010 is not a manual wind. It doesn’t matter to me but we should not post inaccurate information if it can be helped.

Just to clarify the 1010 is not a manual wind. It doesn’t matter to me but we should not post inaccurate information if it can be helped.

I agree completely, which is why I clarified your comment saying that the movement in question (1030, not 1010) is a manual winding movement. Part of giving correct information is to fully understand the question being asked, which you apparently did not.

The seconds pinion on the 1030 is shown here at the red arrow:

The pinion has no support, other than the friction spring that is fitted against a small collar on the pinion. Without supporting the pinion properly in a movement holder with a central support, the seconds pinion will just be pushed away when you try to set the hand. This not only prevents good mounting of the hand (as the OP has described accurately) but it risks damaging the friction spring and causing the seconds hand to stutter. It can also cause the pinion collar to be pushed past the friction spring, so the friction spring is no long in the correct spot, requiring some very awkward fiddling at best, or partial disassembly of the movement to set right.

In addition to providing accurate information here, we also try to give proper watchmaking procedures when they are asked for, and avoid giving procedures that would be considered, for lack of a better term, hack work.

Cheers, Al

Like 3
Yes, that would work fine. You raise the central support up to just meet the pinion, and that supports it while you press the hand on.

Like 2
Now I am curious why there doesn't seem to be a problem with cal. 1020. Is it because the rotor spindle/pivot happens to be close enough to the second pinion and effectively supports it?

Now I am curious why there doesn't seem to be a problem with cal. 1020. Is it because the rotor spindle/pivot happens to be close enough to the second pinion and effectively supports it?

You should always support the pinion using a movement holder like this. You might get lucky and not damage anything just pressing down on it with the auto bridge in place on some of these, but that's poor practice to be honest...

Like 1
Coincidentally, I watched the following video a few days ago where Stian explains (at 29:24) how he relies on the auto bridge supporting the pinion as Archer mentioned above.

Like 1
Coincidentally, I watched the following video a few days ago where Stian explains (at 29:24) how he relies on the auto bridge supporting the pinion as Archer mentioned above.

Yeah...not recommended...best to use a proper movement holder.

Like 2
Like my father always said, “there’s never enough time to do the job right, but there’s always enough time to do it twice”.

Like 1
Good information; thank you (all) for the clarification.

Good information; thank you (all) for the clarification.
I am the one who should thank everybody here ! I will get my hands on one of these movement holder.

Cheers

Tom