Forums Latest Members
  1. kreyke May 6, 2017

Hello guys, saw this listing for 2k. Tried to do some research and I still can't understand the pricing.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=534524

Also, what is the definition of "calatrava"? It seems more of a descriptive term rather than a model. But that calatrava I have linked looks nothing like the rest I have seen.

I'm assuming calatrava is like a flat round case with a simple dial?

Alfy Forluck and watch3s like this.
  2. michael22 May 6, 2017

It is hard to find a straight def. of calatrava.
    My attempts lead me to think:
    a calatrava is meant to be the most elegant, simple yet beautiful dress watch a maker can make. Of the highest quality. Typically with a subsecond, but that may simply be the fashion of the day.

The watch in the link may have met that description when new, but it is a long bow now. I don't understand the price either.

watch3s likes this.
  3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 6, 2017

Omega never made a Calatrava.

But they did make military watches. "Military" and "calatrava" have been applied to more watches than ever produced in either form.

watch3s and chronos like this.
  4. michael22 May 6, 2017

Hey Jim, is calatrava a type, or just a name? @JimInOz

5. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 6, 2017

And just to clarify, Calatrava is the model name unique to a specific manufacturer.

As Seamaster is to Omega
    Calatrava is to ?

watch3s, Fialetti and michael22 like this.
  6. kreyke May 6, 2017

Patek?

JimInOz likes this.
  7. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe May 6, 2017

Nice watch. Cushion case case. Sector dial. Bit too much "patina" (read: dirt) on the dial for my taste. No movement shots. Way too much money.

To understand the pricing look up greed in the dictionary, or perhaps wishful thinking.

Amazing how a white glove and some Omega letterhead adds to the value of a plain little watch.

JimInOz likes this.
  8. watch3s May 6, 2017

thought that was Patek's thing

9. Fialetti May 6, 2017

As Jim already pointed out, a Calatrava is, strictly speaking, a range of watches by Patek, beginning with the ref 3919 [correction: 96] in 1932. They have the Cross of Calatrava on the crown, hence the name. [correction: later models have this but usually not the original reference].

Outside of that the term seems to be applied quite loosely, but mostly to other makes' three-handed round watches from the 1940s, often ones with a plain and open-looking dial (and with a side of 'I am going to ask a lot of money for this watch').

Does anyone know when people starting referring to non-Patek watches as 'Calatravas'?

And is there really a Bauhaus connection to the original Calatrava, as is often claimed without (AFAIK) any evidence?

Edited May 6, 2017
    JimInOz likes this.
  10. DON May 6, 2017

It's not a Calatrava, but it sounds better than cushion case. When I think Calatrava. I see the original flat top vintage models although Patek uses it for their more simple like of dress models with various cases.

Most will use the term if the case is close in design to the Patek design or because it sounds more expensive

The dial design. Not a clue, but not Bauhaus design as far as I know. Again another word that gives something more value. If you do a search on Bauhaus dials. They are more simple in design.

This to me is a Calatrava case

[​IMG]

DON

11. mac_omega May 6, 2017

Not quite correct.

The Calatrava (in strict sense) which started in the 30ies was not ref 3919 (which is a modern reference) - it was ref. 96 which still is an iconic watch despite its small diameter of 30.5 mm only. It has a timeless design with the typical fat indices and the dauphine hands.
    It had been a men´s watch watch in that time - today it might be too small for even women...

Later (in the 50ies) a slightly larger waterproof Calatrava was added. Looks the same...
    The screw back case meassures 32mm which was an improvement.
    It has ref. 2545 and is known as the waterproof Calatrava.

Also in the 50ies the so-called large Calatrava ref. 570 was added to the Patek´s line which is around 35 mm diameter.

It resembles all the design elements of the first Calatrava 96 but at a more wearable size for today´s taste.

In strict sense only these 3 references are to be called Calatrava.

In a wider sense Patek uses Calatrava for most round models they offer today...

best

erich

JimInOz, Vitezi, micampe and 3 others like this.
  12. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar May 7, 2017

Fialetti likes this.
  13. Fialetti May 7, 2017

14. kreyke May 7, 2017

I think even at that price.. I might not consider it. Do you guys even find it attractive?

15. Fialetti May 7, 2017

Not personally, no. But...what kind of watch are you looking for?

16. kreyke May 7, 2017

No I was just looking through the forums and trying to understand the price. Been on a buying spree recently and I'm supposedly placed on a hiatus by the Mrs [emoji17]

17. Fialetti May 7, 2017

Maybe the economic literature on Veblen goods would help?

18. Tire-comedon First Globemaster May 8, 2017

Hi,
    'Original crystal', what a joke!
    That's a CK792, this watch was proposed on the forum in February for 3.000USD.

If this one was Worth 2.000-3.000 USD, I Wonder how much would this one be :
    [​IMG]

And by the way, I would be richer :
    [​IMG]

Not talking about projects I could consider as rare finds...

But of course, that's not the case. Not a particularily rare Watch in a not so good condition, imho.

[​IMG]

Edited May 8, 2017
    kreyke and JimInOz like this.
  19. neilfrancis May 8, 2017

A Calatrava is a PP.

End of.

Innit?

Stewart H likes this.
  20. Alfy Forluck Apr 29, 2021

For fun, I typed Omega Calatrava into a search on Chrono24, just to see .... got an awful lot of hits. More on eBay.

I am new to Watching ... is the use of Calatrava as a generic term a relatively recent event in the conversation?