Forums Latest Members
  1. R3D9 Apr 2, 2017

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping I can draw on the community's knowlege base to help me determine if I should bring this little beauty that I picked up last year in for service.

It's the 166.032 or 168.023 version (I'm not 100% sure which one) with the non-chronometer, cal. 750. It currently runs around 5 minutes slow per day. I wind it fully each day and it's part of my regular rotation of a half dozen watches, so it sees weekly time on my wrist.

The good news is that the previous owner had it serviced and the common issue of the date not setting was corrected and works fine.

What's is the accuracy I should expect from a watch of this vintage? Should I send it in for a service? How much should I expect to spend on a service? I picked this up for a song, so the cost isn't a huge deal as I don't have much into this guy to begin with.

A secondary question - the hour hand's black coloured lume(?) had a small piece missing. The second hand also has quite a few scratches. It drives my OCD nature a bit crazy... where might I source a set of replacement hands?

Cheers! IMG_0047.JPG

2. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Apr 2, 2017

I have two watches with that movement. Both have been serviced in the last 18 months and keep time within a few seconds a day.

Omega 750_103115 484.jpg Seamaster 168023_020617 5305.jpg

Jacquot, JohnSteed, R3D9 and 2 others like this.
  3. mac_omega Apr 2, 2017

It should be possible to tune it to chronometer specs (less than 10 sec a day) even when it is not the chronometer movement version.
    minutes/ day is far too much.

BTW the ref. for your watch is 166.032

JohnSteed, ConElPueblo and R3D9 like this.
  4. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Apr 2, 2017

These can be adjusted to very high accuracy, shouldn't be loosing 5 min a day.

Just because something was repaired does not mean it was serviced as well.

JohnSteed and R3D9 like this.
  5. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Apr 2, 2017

None of my non-chronometer rated watches are off more than 30 s/day. Like @mac_omega mentioned any good quality movement (e.g. Omega) in good condition can be adjusted and regulated to less than 10 s/day.

Edited Apr 3, 2017
    R3D9 likes this.
  6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 3, 2017

Omega specs call for the Cal. 750 to have an average daily rate of between -1 and +16 seconds per day, with the target average daily rate being +8 seconds per day. The condition of the movement is key to performance.

Unless you know it was serviced by someone who is competent, having it at least checked by a known good watchmaker is a good idea. How much it will cost will vary based on the condition of the movement and scope of the work required.

Your watchmaker should be able to do this for you - I would suggest one with an Omega parts account would be best as they will have access to new hands.

Cheers, Al

R3D9 likes this.
  7. R3D9 Apr 3, 2017

Thanks to everyone for their input! Does anyone know of a watchmaker in the Toronto area that would be able to order parts directly from Omega? I know of Shane Ede, but I do not believe he has that ability.

I suppose I could take it directly to Omega, but the cost of the service would be close to 2x what I paid for the watch, so... :thumbsdown:

8. François Pépin Apr 3, 2017

Actually, I think almost everyone here knows a VERY good watchmaker with an Omega account is the area of Toronto!

Clue: you have just talked to him!

KingCrouchy and R3D9 like this.
  9. JohnSteed Apr 3, 2017

Hey @R3D9 ,..., regarding your Lime comment - if you get the watch serviced your WM may be able to patch up the missing Lume. But I wouldn't touch it (my 2c) and hunt for another in better condition

R3D9 likes this.
  10. R3D9 Apr 4, 2017

Hah! I hadn't seen the last few posts to this thread and, in fact, just sent an email to @Archer asking about a service - I learned about him via the sticky threads in the forum.

@Archer - looking forward to connecting!

Thanks @François Pépin and the rest of you who responded.

11. thelinendial Oct 15, 2019

@R3D9 How did your service turn out?

12. R3D9 Oct 15, 2019

Sadly, I sold that one before I had a chance to get it serviced :(