Forums Latest Members
  1. PatF Jul 18, 2017

I just had my 1967 cal 561 Connie refurbished by Omega. It runs about +7 per day. I tested it and got the following readings:
    Face Up +19
    Face Down +16
    12 Up +6
    3 Up +5
    6 Up +9
    9 Up +5
    Am I expecting too much out of a watch this old?
    Why are the face up and down figures so high?
    Thanks

Pat

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 18, 2017

Assuming that these readings are taken on a timing machine, and assuming they are taken at full wind, and assuming you know how to use the machine (adequate stabilization time between readings), and assuming the balance amplitudes and beat errors are within spec...

The Delta you have is 14 seconds measured over 6 positions (19-5=14), where Omega allows 25 seconds over just 3 positions on this movement.

The average daily rate is +10 seconds per day (60/6=10) and Omega allows the average rate to be between -1 and +16 seconds per day, with the target rate at +8 seconds.

So the watch clearly falls within the timing specs that Omega requires. The way brand service centers work is that if a watch passes their tests and meets their standards, they don't continue to work on it - it's done and it ships. They aren't trying to get the best out if it, just trying to get it within their specs...

Cheers, Al

GuiltyBoomerang and chipsotoole like this.
  3. PatF Jul 18, 2017

Why are the face up and face down numbers so much higher than the rest?
    Pat

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 18, 2017

The short answer is because they left it that way. The long answer would require looking at the movement in detail...if I had to guess given the very limited information given, I would say the spacing of the regulator pins needs adjusting.

5. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jul 18, 2017

Obviously we don't know what else the OP wanted Omega to do in the 'refurbishment' of his watch.
    But Yet another reason not to send a vintage watch to Omega for service?
    Independent watchmakers get my vote all day every day. :thumbsup:

6. ChrisN Jul 18, 2017

Not really for the watch above. Regardless of how many positions Omega test in, this is a good result for a 561. With a tweak to the overall rate taking a few seconds to do, this watch is very close to the basic Chronometer spec at full wind, assuming it is full wind.

The only way to be sure to get this into basic Chronometer spec is to test five positions at both 0H and 24H. From what I see, 80% of independent watchmakers test in one, or possibly three, positions and only at 0H so they are not likely to improve on the watch above.

Regards, Chris

wsfarrell likes this.
  7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 18, 2017

If one of my vintage watches is within 10 to 15 seconds a day after service, it's good enough for me.
    gatorcpa

coronado and GuiltyBoomerang like this.
  8. wsfarrell Jul 18, 2017

Sounds like you have a Timegrapher. If you have the tools and are willing to work on the watch, I would recommend:

1. Wear the watch for a while and see how far it drifts. Let's imagine you wear it for 5 days and it's 60 seconds fast, or 12 seconds/day on average.
    2. Open it up, put it on the Timegrapher, and retard it 12 seconds/day. Doesn't matter what the Timegrapher says, just retard it 12 s/d. So if Timegrapher says +24, adjust it to +12. If Timegrapher says -7, adjust it to -19.
    3. It might take another cycle or two, but you should be able to get it fairly accurate this way.

I do this with all my watches, and usually get them well within 5 seconds/day.

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  9. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jul 18, 2017

I was referring to Al's comments
    As far as I'm aware the quality independent watchmakers who frequent OF try to regulate watches in their care to the best possible performance rather than simply within Omega specs.
    I know which service I prefer.

10. keepitsimple Jul 19, 2017

Manufacturer service centres know that the vast majority of their customers won't have timing machines, and checking the timing of a watch in 5 positions without one is a tedious process which very few of the general population would bother with. So, provided they can get the watch within the published specs., and an "on the wrist" average within acceptable customer limits, that's all they need to aim for. It's largely only folk like us who get down to the nitty gritty.

11. PatF Jul 19, 2017

I am doing a 24 hour "on the wrist" test. I will see how it goes.
    Pat

12. PatF Jul 20, 2017

After 24 hours of continuous wear, I am running +2. I am thrilled. That shows that the timegrapher is not the final word!
    When not in use, I keep the watch on a winder, 900 rotations, bi-directional. There the watch runs about +7.
    Thanks to all.

Pat

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 20, 2017

A timing machine gives you a very limited snap-shot of the timing results. This is why most companies require additional testing after the assembly is done for confirmation of rates. Omega has it's own process, but the one I use personally is more time consuming - watches are tested for at least 10 days after service in the shop. It's a better real world reflection of the performance than timing machine results are, as the watch is in each of the 6 positions I test the watch to on the timing machine for a full 24 hour period. Additional days are for being on the test winder and then a power reserve test. If I have to make an adjustment to the timing, I start the testing over again.

Time consuming but allows me to have some assurance that the watch will run well when the customer gets it back.

14. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 20, 2017

Not sure this is a good idea for a 50 year old watch, even fresh out of service.

Parts are going to wear unnecessarily. However, if you are keeping on a winder only overnight. as you are wearing the watch every day, then it probably doesn't make a difference.
    gatorcpa