Forums Latest Members

Cal. 501 in a Conquest Deluxe

1. BartH Follows a pattern of overpaying Jan 1, 2016

I was looking at this rather nice Deluxe from a seller in my country:

http://www.carsandwatches.com/longines/

It's a later 1960's model and doesn't come with the coveted enamel medallion on the caseback. What also caught my eye is that it's fitted with a cal. 501. This caliber isn't covered by @ulackfocus thread on Longines automatic movements. Professor Ranfft teaches me that this caliber is the equivalent of the Record 1955.

Is someone able (calling Dr. Ulackfocus) to tell me whether this is a Longines manufacture movement or a Record ebauché?

Hijak likes this.
  2. ulackfocus Jan 1, 2016

Longines acquired Record in 1961, so technically it's a Longines movement but not really one of the in-house sought after calibers. In fact, I'm not even sure that caliber should be inside of that case. Stranger things have happened, and never say never because Longines has precedent for factory frankens (see the late 50's Conquests), but I'm VERY suspicious of that watch.

Interesting that the caseback doesn't have the medallion and it has brushing in the center. Usually a presentation watch (made to have an inscription) would have a regular polished center. I don't like how the date lines up inside the date window though - usually it would be perfectly centered.

3. BartH Follows a pattern of overpaying Jan 1, 2016

Grazie signor for the info.

I see the wonky date now.

Does the caseback even belong tot the case? Rest of case looks like a ref 902x.

4. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Jan 1, 2016

Please school me briefly on Longines and medallions or the lack of. I just acquired a Conquest with a cal. 291 with a non-medallion caseback:

SS Conquest_123015 878.jpg SS Conquest_123015 890.jpg

5. dragoman Jan 12, 2016

At ebay, somebody is selling a 505 movement with that deluxe dial and hands:

http://www.ebay.es/itm/Working-TRIP...558655?hash=item5680f26cbf:g:CbkAAOSwwPhWlPkMPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I suppose that it settles the question. Another St. Imier special from Longines...

... although on a closer look, the date window and furniture is different from the one posted above.

I could understand that Longines used some old deluxe dials with a Record sourced movement, but it puzzles me that it revisited the old deluxe dial to use it with a 505 Movement. They really did strange things back in the day.

Edited Jan 12, 2016
  6. CHRONOZEN Feb 11, 2021

Good information I dont know the caliber 501,505 was RECORD movement before LONGINES buy the company records in 1961.
    THANK YOU