Forums Latest Members
  1. Peppe Dec 2, 2015

Hi

I'm on the hunt for a Connie and just love the looks of the 2852 models.

From a parts perspective I have understood that it might be worthwhile staying away from the bumper movements in the early Connies, but the later 2852s' had cal 501/505 movements. How are these movements in terms of ease of working with, parts supply and quality etc?

I know the followers 551/561 are great, but what about the 501/505?

noelekal likes this.
  2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 2, 2015

Not sure where you got the idea that there were problems with the bumper movements. They are very robust. I have several of them and never a problem getting them serviced,or finding parts if needed.

Cals. 501/505 are also pretty good. Parts are out there except for the chronometer engraved rotors, which are quite rare. The issues with the 2852's mostly have to do with the dials, which had problems with bad lacquer. Most were refinished years ago and very few were done accurately.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

noelekal likes this.
  3. hugo Dec 2, 2015

I think cal.5xx is probably best generation of omega's movement. and so that one of main reasons many connie's fan collect this model
    quality is top also had much been produced, it's not hard to find spare.
    anyway for an bumper movement, I really love this movement. you will got such a special feeling when you wear it.

good luck

4. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Dec 2, 2015

Between the 505 and 501 I prefer the 505.

5. Peppe Dec 3, 2015

Thanks gatorcpa!

Might just have been my interpretation to be honest. I have seen threads where people have mentioned that as long as you stick with the 55x/56x/75x you are ok for parts supply and maybe I probably wrongly then figured that the other older movements would be more challenging. Glad that is not the case then! So the "problems" was mostly referring to parts supply to be honest; not the quality of the movement it self.

Appreciate the input on the dial! So basically it will be a challenge to find a decent piece. Feels like I need to give it a shot anyway since I love them.

6. Kja Dec 3, 2015

I have a '56 Connie that I love with a 501. It is my personal favorite body style since it is not as flashy as a society or later stuff but still somewhat understated with the modern features.

7. Peppe Dec 3, 2015

Thanks for the input guys! Now I just have to try to get over the fact that most (all??) 2852 models are 34mm which is very small. :)

8. BartH Follows a pattern of overpaying Dec 3, 2015

More like 35mm

9. Peppe Dec 3, 2015

Ok... I think I have just seen them as 34mm but that could be factory measures I guess. If they are closer to 35 that is even better :)

10. BartH Follows a pattern of overpaying Dec 3, 2015

If I remember correctly, the Omega archive lists it as 35mm.

The 2852 is a bit bulkier than the later models like the dog legged Connies. The only models being bigger are the hidden crown Connie and the Asian market jumbo Connie.

Here's a great article on Connie cases:

http://users.tpg.com.au/mondodec//aCaseStudydefinitive.pdf

Peppe likes this.