Forums Latest Members
  1. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Nov 13, 2014

It's been 10 days since I got my Ω Constellation, Cal 354, 1958 back from movement service. It was all over the map before-hand, from -22 to -177s/d, with no known service history. It's MUCH better now; he only had to clean and lube as far as I know (no parts needed).

Here's what my Timegrapher says:
    Pos.-------- T --- Amplitude
    Cryst up: +6s ... 268
    12 up: .. -18s ... 245
    3 up: ... -20s ... 234
    6 up: .. -18s ... 234
    9 up: .. -10s ... 220
    Cryst dwn: -8s... 278

On the wrist: -12 to -15s/d consistently for 10 days

It IS a Chronometer, and other than when it's crystal up, it's still pretty consistent.

Would it be unreasonable to take it back and request he bump up the rate about 15 seconds? It was a $220 service...

Edited Nov 13, 2014
  2. John R Smith Nov 14, 2014

As it's a cal 354 the watch is more likely to be 1953-55 than 1958. In my experience with these bumper movements, the watchmaker has done a good job, because when it is on your wrist the timekeeping is consistent. The difference between positions on your Timegrapher will just be due to overall wear in the train and balance. What you didn't mention is what position you leave the watch in overnight, because that has to be consistent too. I would reckon that about half a turn advance on the swan-neck regulator would likely put this one in the ballpark, which is about a ten-minute job for your watchmaker.

P.S. Another useful thing to check would be the power reserve, from fully wound (40 to 50 winds from the crown) to stopped. You should be aiming for 38 hours, but 35 to 36 hours is acceptable IMO.

Edited Nov 14, 2014
  3. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Nov 14, 2014

Yes, '54.., my other vintage Ω is the '58!

I am used to regulating my modern watches myself, but they mostly all have screw down casebacks for which I have the tools. I would do this myself on this one, except I think it's a pop-off, and I'm not comfortable doing it without damage; besides, I just gave the WM $220, so....

I would think this would be done gratis?

4. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 14, 2014

Swan's neck regulators are difficult to adjust oneself, without the proper tools. Cal. 354 does have a swan's neck, no?

5. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Nov 14, 2014

Here's mine:
    $_57.4.JPG $_57.8.JPG

6. John R Smith Nov 14, 2014

Cal 354 does indeed have the swan-neck regulator, as you can see in the photo above. These are adjusted by an incredibly tiny screw, which requires an equally incredibly tiny screwdriver and a very steady hand. This is a job best left to your watchmaker unless you have had a few practice runs on a scrap movement first.

7. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Nov 14, 2014

Thank you.

My WM just now did this for me while I waited. I'll put it on the Timegrapher when I get home to confirm the new setting..

8. John R Smith Nov 14, 2014

Let us know how it goes, dougiedude :thumbsup:

9. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Nov 14, 2014

Took it in to the shop, and THIS time, I got to meet the 'doctor' (WM). Mr Mufasa. Every other time I've been here, he was mysteriously in the back. I was told he rarely comes out. So, I've always imagined this old guy (originally trained in the Swiss factory years ago) with a badly curved back, and an Elephant Man face buried in his work...

Well, this time, he was out of his cage! Behind the counter, no less! And he was pretty normal looking :cautious:.

So, I'm not sure why, but I also had my vintage Seamaster with me, and it already keeps near perfect time (-1s/day).

By mistake I handed him the Seamaster:eek:! I asked if he could re-regulate the watch to run 12-15 seconds faster, which HE DID!::facepalm2:: When he came back out 5 minutes later, I realized my mistake. So then he took both the Connie and the SM back, and re-regulated.

The end of the story is, the watch now is an average of 10 seconds faster than it was (using my Timegrapher), so I'm happy with that. The Seamaster, on the other hand, appears to be about 3 or 4 seconds slower than it was, maybe -5/day, which aint bad, so I think I'll just live with that...

Mr. Mufasa said he was excited to see my Connie, because he said it reminded him of the old days in training at Omega, when almost all the watches were bumper calibers...

I wonder how he does with Master Co-Axials?:eek:

Edited Nov 15, 2014
    John R Smith likes this.
  10. Escargot Man, look at that S car go! Nov 15, 2014

Where does Mr Mufasa work? I've got a few vintage Omegas including bumpers that I will need to have serviced...

11. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Nov 15, 2014

He's at the 'It's About Time' shop in Perimeter Mall, Atlanta, GA, 770-399-6958. I'm pretty sure he's the owner, Lionel Mufasa. Dave is a watch technician, and Mark is the friendly manager; all good 'watch guys'!

Edited Nov 15, 2014