Forums Latest Members
  1. wwhntr Aug 4, 2013

Omega 354 RG 1.jpg Omega 354 RG 2.jpg Omega 354 RG 3 dial.jpg
    Picked this up and would appreciate your opinion/expertise. Did Omega produce the 354 with the RG regulator? Serial # 11,903,085, in a 2577-1 gold capped case.

Also, what do you think about the dial? Most Omega dials that I've seen from this era are marked "Chronometre", not "Chronometer"...could this have depended on which market/country it was sold?

Looking forward to your input! Hopefully it's legit!

2. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Aug 4, 2013

352 came with the RG Regulator, not the 354. The Chronometer and Officially Certified was added IMO - the print is darker than Omega Automatic and is not as neat. This seller has what looks like a lot of altered watches.

3. John R Smith Aug 4, 2013

This movement is a mess. The top bearing for the rotor is missing, for a start. The s/n dates it to 1949, probably, which is pre-cal 354. Then there is cal 354 engraved on the backplate, but along with an RG regulator, not a swan-neck. This looks like a hastily cobbled-together bitsa. The dial should read "chronometre" (if it was 1949).

John

TNTwatch likes this.
  4. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Aug 4, 2013

2 things - 354 never had this regulator and 354 never had a serial this low.

5. wwhntr Aug 4, 2013

Great! I should have done my homework first. I really doubt the seller knew, or bought it as you see. He actually had two "354 RG's", the other had a 13mil serial #.

Had some hope that it might have been a "transitional" movement, but should have know better. Seems really strange that anyone would use the rare RG regulator on a 354 plate movement.

6. John R Smith Aug 5, 2013

Well, all the warning signs were there - the missing top bearing, wrong regulator for the calibre, and the rotor looks much better preserved (more shiny) than the bridge supporting it. The rotor is from a chronometer, interestingly, but probably has nothing to do with the rest of the movement. There is corrosion on the steel pinions as well, which is an indicator of neglect in the past.

Since finding this forum, I have made a new rule for myself. I will never again purchase a vintage watch (or parts thereof) without consulting the good guys here first :thumbsup:

Regards, John

TNTwatch and Hijak like this.