Forums Latest Members
  1. timechef Oct 15, 2018

I recently came across a Ref. 352 Seamaster in 18k, also, and I’m assuming bonus, retailed by Turler and signed on dial. Unfortunately the piece is not running and the movement needs lots of love. The case looks to be unpolished and the acrylic crystal is very worn. I’m wondering if service would cost more than what I can ultimately get out of the piece. Any advice and history on the piece would be appreciated. I’ll post a couple of pics for reference.
    https://imgur.com/a/YFBGUnb

2. S.H. Oct 15, 2018

Maybe water damage, rotor rubbing marks,... ? You are playing with the watchmaking devil with this one, it is a gamble. It may clean up nicely, it may not. Hard to give sensible advice.

3. timechef Oct 15, 2018

Thanks. Water Damage seems to be a real possibility. I’ll further inspect and try and get more detailed picks when I can. So In your opinion the piece isn’t rare enough to move forward with purchase and repair? Or you think repair may not be financially viable if a return is what I’m looking for.

4. S.H. Oct 15, 2018

For the rarity, I don't know : I'm more a repairman than an Omega collector. Maybe someone else can chime in. My generic advice would be buying this for gold scrap value plus something if the case/dial is attractive to you. You could always search for a movement if this one is really totalled, at worst.

If you have access to a watchmaker, maybe ask him to remove the movement, weight the gold so that the seller is not shorted on the gold value, at least. This is what I do when I buy gold watches. Then I add some value, depending on the attractivity of the watch and the work to be done on it.

I can't really tell you anything on the repair without having the watch in my hands: it there is rust inside, it is not a regular service, more of an open ended bill. In my area, cost of a service + generic crystal + omega crown (if found) could cost you 180-300eur. If you have to find parts, a donor movement, or perform tricky repairs it can add up on top.

If this watch really speaks to you, test the waters first on the potential repair bill (search for a movement on ebay and see for how much they go for, go talk to a watchmaker in your area, ...).

5. timechef Oct 15, 2018

Thank you for the advice. I will make sure to do due diligence before moving forward. I’m also considering another piece, but it has a bent lug. Would you mind advising me on that as well? I’ll attach a pic. https://imgur.com/a/pGHaATO

6. S.H. Oct 15, 2018

Lume bright green, crown looks dustproof? Also, maybe a redial but you definitely want another opinion on this. Bent lug, well, I straightened some, but it is always scary.

7. timechef Oct 15, 2018

Yea. Seems scary

8. Rochete Oct 15, 2018

I'd pass on both.

timechef likes this.
  9. Hzgm Oct 15, 2018

Looks like a redial to me.

gatorcpa likes this.
  10. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 15, 2018

The chronometer is in very rough condition. Not sure about that dial. Looks like a redial meant to deceive. Movement looks to have water damage. It could be a big money pit.

The other steel Seamaster dial looks reasonable, but it too could be a redial, as no “Swiss Made” at bottom. Pictures are taken through a lens with Vasiline on it.

No warm and fuzzies from either watch here.
    gatorcpa