Forums Latest Members
  1. paschuman Jul 8, 2016

I have been searching for vintage jumbo omega for some time and have been using this forum to not only gain knowledge, but also ask for help before I purchase. Thanks everyone who has previously gave feedback, definitely saved me from making a poor purchase.

Well here is my most recent find - an omega 265 the seller says is from the 50's, but I thought the 265 was only made in 1949?

Information:
    Cal 265 12952075
    Case Size - 36mm
    History - Unknown, seller picked it up from an estate auction
    Accuracy - Off 30 seconds per day. So will definitely require a service

Concerns:
    Original - I don't spot anything glaring and have compared it to other watches. I am not sure from the pictures if the dial has patina or is just a little dusty.
    Condition - I plan to get it serviced, but it is running and 30 second per day does seem to terrible for something that most likely has not been serviced in a while.

Overall, this will be a daily wearer so I am not looking for collector condition. Does anyone spot anything that I am missing?

Watch 1.jpg Watch 2.jpg Watch 3.jpg watch 4.jpg Watch 6.jpg Watch 7.jpg watch 8.jpg Watch 9.jpg

2. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Jul 8, 2016

If you are looking for a daily beater, then it looks the part. IMO, based on the look of the font it is a redial. The movement also appears to be loose in the case and clearly needs a service.

I would just make sure to determine your overall cost (watch + service) in the end it might add up to more than the watch is worth. My 2c

UncleBuck likes this.
  3. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jul 8, 2016

Joe is spot on,
    genuine watch but redialed, late '51-'52, not a collectible museum piece but a real workhorse that you can wear with pride and without a care.
    Don't wear in the rain and don't spend much, but I love the example.

Try and get a good service for $100-150, a nice(r) strap for $25 and you are good-to go!

4. mac_omega Jul 9, 2016

IMO this is a correct (honest) original watch - the dial looks original to me.

And I can not see any hint that the movement was loose in the case...

Well, it has seen some use, it is a watch that has been worn (obviously loved by his former owner) - so have it serviced and enjoy a daily beater as it was intended to be.

just my 2 cents

dwndler and TNTwatch like this.
  5. fjf Jul 9, 2016

Yes, the fonts from the 50s often dont have the serifs from the 60s,and the "A" may be pointy. The dial may be original. Just google "omega 2639" and take a look. Nice watch. If the price is right and you like it...

6. tdn-dk Jul 9, 2016

IMO the dial is original and i cant se any sign on a lose movement. The screw for releasing the crown stem is sticking up, maybe just need to be fastened

dwndler likes this.
  7. paschuman Jul 9, 2016

Thanks for all the feedback. Spent some time googling the font and I am finding examples with and without the pointy A. I'm not really sure why this is the case though.

Can you guys tell if that is patina or dust?

8. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jul 9, 2016

I voted redial because the "G" looks too large next to a smallish A, the O,M and E spacing and the SWISS MADE seemed blotchy.

Even if I screwed up another one,

9. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Jul 9, 2016

You can tell the movement is loose in the case by the first picture, where you can see a space between the dial and the case at the 10-12 markers. Also, the case clamp screw appears loose (4th picture).

10. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Jul 9, 2016

Wrong size screw head ?

11. fjf Jul 9, 2016

You may be right, or a very scratched plexiglass is deforming the letters. A better close-up dial pic would be needed. It is always hard to tell from pics. Buying from pics is a gamble!

12. paschuman Jul 9, 2016

The first pic is the best straight on close up i have. Here is another one, but the hand is blocking part of the Omega. I see what you are saying about the G, but also can't tell if it is caused by scratched plexiglass. On the 2nd and 3rd pictures, the G seems more in line.

It is almost like the bottoms of the A are faded/plexiglass distorting them, which makes the G look larger.

Watch 10.jpg

13. heavenscloud Jul 9, 2016

In my experience, this is the kind of watch that makes you crazy once you're sucked into the black hole that is this hobby. It functions well as a daily wearer so you put money into it, but the imperfections eventually make you wish you had waited patiently for a better example.

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 9, 2016

Just looks like it needs to be tightened to me.

Joe K. likes this.
  15. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Jul 9, 2016

It's a possible ?

16. François Pépin Jul 9, 2016

There is some issue with the fixation in the case. Because of the space we can see between the case and the movement, one could think a fixation ring should have been used instead of screws. But these screws seem to be correct (I have similar ones in several cal 30, though without this space).

Something wrong here to my opinion.

17. François Pépin Jul 9, 2016

Correction after reading Archer´s post.

It seems to me that the top screw might be correct, probably not the bottom one. And I would follow Archer´s analysis and advice on this, so do not take my previous post into account.

18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 10, 2016

Pretty easy to see that the screw just needs to be tightened. Also extremely easy to confirm before you go looking for different screws or additional movement spacers...

dwndler likes this.
  19. François Pépin Jul 10, 2016

You are the expert!

But I confess I am still wondering. I am not sure that there is a bezel on that watch (hard to tell on the pic). Could the big screws have been put at some moment to be pushed by the screw back and hold the movement in the case?

But maybe I am saying complete nonsense!

20. François Pépin Jul 10, 2016

Well, I have checked the reference with Google, and I was telling nonsense!

Sorry for that.

Always listen to Archer...

This ref has little metal devices with the screws in order to hold the movement. We can see they are here on the OP´s movement. Should check that they are correctly set.