Forums Latest Members

CAL 1861 timer results - what do you think?

1. blubarb Jun 29, 2015

[​IMG][/IMG] Hi. I just got my Ace-Timer delivered and immediately put the Speedy 1861 on it. What do you think of the beat and the rate? Is the downward movement of the beats confirm a loss in rate.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Cal-1861.jpg
  2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 29, 2015

Only one photos showing for me...

Is this at full wind? What position is the watch in for this photo?

Assuming full wind dial up or down, amplitude is fine, beat error is within tolerance, and yes the rate is slow at -4 seconds per day as the display shows. I applaud you setting the lift angle correctly, as 99% of photos I see with people who have just bought one of these things show the default at 52 degrees no matter what movement is being measured.

Cheers, Al

nonuffinkbloke and Travelller like this.
  3. blubarb Jun 29, 2015

Yep, full wind. Dial up. Thanks, it's an amazing learning curve (no poor pun intended). The lift angle on my PO co-axiel is 38 degrees.

Edited Jun 29, 2015
  4. blubarb Jun 29, 2015

Would appreciate your view on this, Archer. I got this back from the Omega AD where it was sent for a regulation after a large knock did some weird things to the rate of this Omega PO 2500c. It came back with the following Witschi printout. I think it is just within tolerance, but the +9 average doesn't look all that great to me, but I am really only guessing. I am thinking of taking it back for a massage.
    [​IMG]
    I haven't taken it off in 24 hours and have checked it's rate against an app called watch tracker and it shows +5 in 24 hours of constant on the wrist time. Putting it on my ACE Timer I get the following:

Dial up
    [​IMG]

Dial down
    [​IMG]

Cheers
    John

2hd0300.jpg Dial Up.jpg Dial down.jpg
    Edited Jun 29, 2015
  5. blubarb Jun 29, 2015

the first Ace Timer pic (+9) is Dial Up the 2nd Dial down.

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 30, 2015

I assume you are johnno1954 from WUS, and I answered you there already as you know.

First your timer will not give accurate results for a co-axial watch with regards to the balance amplitude. The co-axial requires special programming for the specific sequence of sounds that this escapement makes, and these cheap machines do not have these features that I am aware of. The amplitude results are therefore unreliable.

On the timing slip the Delta is high as I said on WUS, the average rate is out of tolerance, and the balance amplitudes don't make sense - a vertical position should not be higher amplitude than a horizontal. I'm not sure your guy did a really good job on this one...

Cheers, Al

KingCrouchy, pianomankd and shoota70 like this.
  7. blubarb Jun 30, 2015

Thanks, Archer. I truly appreciate your time. Sorry about the two different forum posts but I was just covering bases, I suppose. Will avoid this in future as I realize how it comes across. Lesson learned and my apologies.

8. andrewd Jun 30, 2015

Al, do the comments above apply to the 1861? I didnt think that movement was coaxial.
    I have the same timer.

My new Speedy was initially 37s/d slow, sent back for a warranty service and it was <5s/ d out when I got it back. It is not a COSC watch so The factory spec is <10 s/d.

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 1, 2015

Those statements apply to co-axial watches as I stated. The 1861 has a tolerance for average daily rate of -1 to +11.

Cheers, Al

10. blubarb Jul 1, 2015

Went back to the "spa" today.

11. blubarb Jul 3, 2015

What do you think, any better this time around? second scan with 24 hours the latest. 2hd0300.jpg

img005.jpg

12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 4, 2015

The first is the same printout as the first one, so he didn't do another at full wind?

Looking at the full wind -24 hour results, now readings are taken over only 5 positions instead of 6. He seems to have the lift angle set properly this time.

Readings are better, but why would there be a 2.4 ms beat error dial up, but much less in all other positions? Again these don't make a lot of sense in some respects...

Cheers, Al

13. blubarb Jul 4, 2015

My apologies I should have inserted this accompanying printout which reads at 0 hrs.

IMG_0383.jpg

img005.jpg

14. blubarb Jul 4, 2015

The Delta has come down by 1 sec and the average by 2 secs. Does this printout say theoretically that if I wear the watch for 24 hours (through most of these positions) it will only gain +1 second in 24 hrs?

Edited Jul 4, 2015
  15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 5, 2015

The Delta has dropped at full wind from 12 to 9, so that's 3 seconds. The average rate at full wind is now +3, when it was +9. The watch is now within specs for Delta and average rate, and the amplitudes look much better. Note that the 2.4 ms beat error dial up at full wind -24 hours is still very puzzling...

So what exactly did the watchmaker do to get these results improved by so much?

If you wear the watch, it will presumably be at or near full wind for most of the day, so if you wore the watch consistently even between the 5 positions measured, it would gain about 3 seconds per day - this is Omega's "target rate" for their chronometer certified watches. Of course no one wears a watch the exact same amount in just those 5 positions all day, but as long as the 6th position (crown right) is not way off, it should be quite close to what you see here.

Cheers, Al

16. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Jul 5, 2015

This confuses me. My 1861 Speedmaster, when it came back from Omega, was set to an average rate of +3.25 secomds per day. On the wrist, it's +2. Is it that my wear is not "typical" or is it something else?

Tom

17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 5, 2015

I'm not sure what you are confused about...timing machine checks are done under controlled conditions, and for very short periods of time (sample time of about a minute depending on the machine used and how it's programmed). As I said clearly in the post you quoted from, no one is going to wear the watch exactly the same way the timing machine readings are done, so of course there will be differences between the "worn" rates and what the timing machine shows...

18. blubarb Jul 5, 2015

Interesting, Archer. You say, "but as long as the 6th position (crown right) is not way off, it should be quite close to what you see here." But I only see 5 positions here how do you tell what the 6th position is?

19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 5, 2015

You don't know, which is why I always check over 6 positions...

20. blubarb Jul 5, 2015

Cheers, Archer. I will wear it and crudely measure with the app Watchtracker and see how it goes. BTW, given the above data what would be the best resting position for night.