Forums Latest Members
  1. calalum Mar 11, 2015

I am close to pulling the trigger on this watch but am concerned about the case back (haven't seen one with the AMI data and Cairelli both engraved) and maybe the hands being relumed. Thoughts, comments, etc.? Thanks all. And big thanks to those who have commented already behind the scenes. Zenith back PG.jpg Zenith Cairelli dial.jpg .

NK

2. LarryG not KennyG, not OG, just LarryG Mar 11, 2015

I thought the un assigned version had the A. cairelli Roma on the caseback. I also dont like the font of the M.M.
    Though Im hardly an expert on these, the examples Ive seen either have the MM and number or the A Cairelli Roma....

Sorry I should have read your post a little more thoroughly. I agree, caseback is troubling...

3. LarryG not KennyG, not OG, just LarryG Mar 11, 2015

Ive never seen assigned numbers that high or in that engraving.
    The seller also gives pause....

4. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Mar 11, 2015

The AMI and MM engravings were clearly done free-hand with a hand engraving tool.

[​IMG]

They should look like this:

[​IMG]

Darlinboy likes this.
  5. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 11, 2015

Yup, agree. The AMI and MM number have been added later, as the assigned Cairellis sell at a premium compared to the unassigned. It's a pity, as a perfectly decent Cairelli has been defaced.

6. calalum Mar 11, 2015

Guys-Thanks a lot. Is the only readily apparent difference between an issued and a non-issued watch on the case back?

7. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Mar 11, 2015

Yes. That and the beautiful condition of so many of the unissued ones.

8. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 11, 2015

The assigned ones did take a beating. It seems an appropriate place to post a link to GIGI's piece on Captain DeNigris and is Cairelli. It's in Italian.
    http://orologi.forumfree.it/?t=60705988

@GIGI, I seem to remember you had a link to this in English someplace?

Edited Mar 11, 2015
  9. calalum Mar 11, 2015

Thanks guys. I just pulled out of the transaction. I am looking for a legit Cairelli and will pay a full price for one, if anyone is aware of one that they are not pursuing. And no, this is not a back door WTB post.

NK

10. papaebetu Mar 11, 2015

11. Redwheelbarrow Mar 14, 2015

OF MEMBERS -- you must read this article referred by LouS and written by GIGI. The stories F104 jet Captain A. De Nigris tells of his military assigned Zenith A. Cairelli CP 2 are astounding. Scratches on the crystal earned by slamming 4G's at supersonic speed to avoid weapon fire...

Thank you for sharing this article(!)