Forums Latest Members

C-shape Constellation , Stainless With Gold Markers

1. Mothra Sep 16, 2012

caseback.jpg cshape.jpg
    Well, I went to the Uxbridge watch fair and had a good chat with SpikiSpikester; I did what I always do, a quick walk around, moan that there's nothing I want, then do a slower circuit and spot a whole load of interesting stuff. I was there looking for a gold cap (probably pie pan) constellation, and I came away with something... else. :)

I saw a stainless cshape with a silver linen dial and gold markers - I've not seen anything like it, it was on a horrible strap, and I think the seller wasn't sure what to do with it either. I liked the look of it, the movement is immaculate, the guilloche bezel looks great and the polished edges on the case were perfect so I make a cheeky offer and brought it home.

cshape.jpg

I know it's a terrible photo, I'm struggling to photograph it. I'll keep trying and update when I can. Serial no is in 27 millions, which puts it around 68, but there is no caseback reference:

caseback.jpg

I've not seen this before - does this mean it's a 'service' caseback? without a case ref, how do I find out more about the watch? for example, the day/date window has four black dots in the corners - I don't think they are rivet marks for a inlay, but don't know what they would be for - does anyone have any ideas?

Anyway, really pleased with the new watch, of course, I still need a gold cap....

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  2. ulackfocus Sep 16, 2012

That looks like a 168.017 and should have a 751 inside. Nice watch.

Is the bezel brushed (light pattern) or knurled (definite ridges close together)?

If you push the flower button on your camera, you'll set it to macro mode and you can take clear close-up images.

3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 16, 2012

Is that the strap it came with?

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 16, 2012

Strap looks like a modern copy of the Omega deployant strap with an aftermarket deployant clasp

5. Mothra Sep 16, 2012

Hi

In order: :)

- Bezel is brushed not Knurled. I was trying to use a SLR, still couldn't get it to focus close enough, I'll dig out a macro lens or fall back on 'flower mode'

- Thats not the strap it came with (nasty grey thing that was falling apart)

- Its a Hirch (Modena, I think) with sport deployant i had hanging around. Got some more suitable stuff on order...

6. Mothra Sep 16, 2012

Ok, slightly better photos I think. thanks to the case ref ulackfocus gave me, I'm guessing the four dots are where the day.dat inlay ring (not sure what you are supposed to call it) is supposed to be. Still not seen one like it, (has anyone else?) still love it. Don't suppose the inlay can be retrofitted? :)

It does have a 751 inside it; looks mint. I'm going to wear it to bits

IMG_2618.JPG

alam and dsio like this.
  7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 16, 2012

Looks very nice!

8. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Sep 16, 2012

Looks good! I actually like without the daydate window, the dial has a much more streamlined look. You can always find a beat up dial on ebay and use the window from that one. Congrats!

9. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 16, 2012

Stuart, glad you got it & for a good price too. Good job you ditched that grey strap too !

10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 16, 2012

You get anything while you were there?

11. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 16, 2012

I didn't go to buy as I'm thinking of going for a new JLC next year. That said, I was tempted by a very clean Speedmaster 125.

In the end, I left it as we have other priorities at the minute. Builders are starting work tomorrow :eek:

There were loads of Speedys, including 1 cal 321. None of them were in great condition. I also spotted 3 or 4 JLC vintage moon phase triple dates... and about 3 tons of crap in various boxes and bargain bins :D

12. ulackfocus Sep 16, 2012

3 JLC triple calendar moonphases? Wish I was there. That's the watch I really want.

13. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 16, 2012

I was going to have a closer look & check them out, but I didn't like the dealers attitude when he was serving somebody while I was waiting.

Very happy to keep an eye out for you though.

14. ulackfocus Sep 16, 2012

Thanks!

15. Mothra Sep 16, 2012

:)

Ulackfocus, Kyle and SpikiSpikester - thanks for all the help. It's a great forum and full of good people. :)

16. Mothra Nov 13, 2012

So.... I posted a while back that the quickset date on this wasn't working and was told by dennis to go get it serviced... Which I have done... :whistling:

The watch guy (who seems to be brilliant) has sent me back this photo and said 'Firstly, the dial is not original....'

Now, I'm not precious about this watch (it already has issues which I just love it all the more for) but for my learning, what is it in this photo that makes it so clear this is not the original dial finish? I've had a look at desmond's PDFs and although the resolution on his c-shape dial that matches is too low to be conclusive, a lot of the dials around the same period seem to have exactly the same lettering/serifs. What am I missing?

Thanks,

Stu Omega Handley 01.jpg

17. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 13, 2012

He may be trying to illustrate that the markers have been removed and replaced (hole on the corner of date window, condition of Ω . Hard to say with a linen dial (which I've never owned) but the serifs may be a little over done.

18. Mothra Nov 13, 2012

Sounds like I still might be able to give it the benefit of the doubt though?

19. ulackfocus Nov 13, 2012

Can you get a shot of the back of the dial? The font looks okay to me.

20. Mothra Nov 13, 2012

Thanks Dennis - I've asked....