Forums Latest Members
  1. JohnSteed May 14, 2014

Hi All

I've been bitten by the C-Connie bug after seeing some really nice examples here on OF. So, I'm CONSIDERING buying. I like the look of this C case Connie but don't want to start off with an example that needs more work (and cash). It's a Cal 751 / Ref 168.029.

I'm asking --

If it's a (potential) problem that 2 hash marks missing by the date/day window?

Is the font of "constellation" wrong?

Any ideas what price range this watch should be?

Thanks in advance.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

2. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job May 14, 2014

Sorry I can't offer answers to your questions, but the crown looks like it's from an older Connie from what I recall seeing. I'd ask about that too, though I suspect the proper replacement is easy to source (if indeed it is not the proper one).

JohnSteed likes this.
  3. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur May 14, 2014

Looks like the movement was cleaned in wrong solvent then turned yellow. Wrong crown.

Constellation font is ok, it's a variation for that era.

The price is a bit too high for a C shape like that.

With patience, you can buy a better one at lower price, I believe.

[​IMG]

JohnSteed likes this.
  4. JohnSteed May 14, 2014

Yup, I thought crown is wrong but likely not problematic to switch.

Concerns include the missing hash marks ...

5. JohnSteed May 14, 2014

thanks! Guess the yellow to mask rust?

6. JohnSteed May 14, 2014

thanks!

7. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job May 14, 2014

I wondered about that and thought it was the lighting for the photo. As I look closer, the balance wheel has the proper copper tone that should match the tone of the movement more closely. Shame...

JohnSteed likes this.
  8. JohnSteed May 14, 2014

I'm stumped. What are your thoughts if Seller views the color as normal? Due to servicing over time? etc...

I could add his comment but not sure if that's ok here. The above thought is the Seller'a view ...

9. Northernman Lemaniac May 14, 2014

I would recommend to wait for a better one.
    It should not take too long!

JohnSteed likes this.
  10. JohnSteed May 14, 2014

Yet another reason not to rely on eBay sellers, I guess?

Anyone has a view what a good example should cost ...

11. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job May 14, 2014

I think others have had similar experiences, but I'll speak for myself.
    Over the years, I have purchased examples with which I was satisfied despite observing some "shortcoming" like these discolored plates. The seller would be correct to suggest it occurred over the years with service. The point is it should not have discolored if serviced with the proper cleaning solution.
    Usually, I have come to regret my acceptance and purchase of the defective example. And when it comes time to upgrade or otherwise move on, I never find the same accepting collector to buy the example, and lose part of my "investment."
    Bottom line: if you like it, no one can keep you from getting it. But please consider the advice, and remember the fever always burns hottest when it first strikes you.

Tritium, JohnSteed and John R Smith like this.
  12. JohnSteed May 14, 2014

Bitten ... but recommended remedy (ie, to walk away) coming through clearly. Don't think the C venom has fully taken hold yet! LoL

thank you

13. John R Smith May 14, 2014

Never were truer words spoken . . . .

Tritium and JohnSteed like this.
  14. pitpro Likes the game. May 14, 2014

Wait for one with a nice unpolished bevel :)

JohnSteed likes this.
  15. ulackfocus May 14, 2014

As I've stated privately, I think it's a nice example that could be a daily driver. It's certainly not a "stash away" watch that should only be admired as if in a museum.

The crown could be sold to a dog leg pie pan owner, and a serrated replacement purchased - and there'd be money left over for a couple pints.

If you could get it under $650 you're doing very well. I'd expect it to sell closer to $750-ish though. Once you've worn a C-case, you'll buy more. The 36-ish mm cases are great for a 6.5" to 7.25" wrist - in appearance and comfort. I don't do watches 40 mm or above usually, yet the C-case Seamasters that size are one of the few exceptions.

There's some good advice.

JohnSteed likes this.
  16. JohnSteed May 14, 2014

All

I appreciate your views and replies. Your comments have really been helpful :)

I have the daily wear angle covered. I should (no - will) wait for a better example.

Don't want to chance this one given the movement views expressed. Besides, can't be sure this seller is willing to haggle. Don't feel I wanna go there on this one, at this point.

17. ulackfocus May 14, 2014

Based on what's been stated in this thread, you're making a good decision then. It's not like there's a shortage of these late 60's / early 70's C-cases. One of my favorites, and my first C-case Constellation, was a gold capped linen dial caliber 751. ;)

JohnSteed likes this.
  18. dragoman May 15, 2014

19. lando May 15, 2014

Agree, price would have gone higher though, if you would have bid and I would have seen it before... :p

dragoman likes this.