Forums Latest Members

c. 1967 Seamaster with company name on dial - Does this ruin value?

1. RobPA Oct 11, 2014

Complete noob to vintage Omegas here (or any watches for that matter), so apologies for the ignorance.

I'm looking at an auction listing (not online, an in-person estate auction) for a c.1967 Seamaster Deville, gold-filled. Photos are such terrible quality that I won't even attempt to identify model, but I can go look at the watch in person before the auction.

The one thing I can tell from the photo is that it is a company watch given in 1968 for 25 years service, per engraving. The watch also has the company name "Agway" on the dial above the "Seamaster".

I assume the company name on the dial reduces the value in collectors' eyes, but does it reduce it to the point that this would be equal in value (or less) than a re-dial? Or would there still be some value? My googling has turned up plenty of Omegas with engravings on the back but none with a company name on the dial.

Thanks for any help.

noelekal likes this.
  2. Georgieboy58 Oct 11, 2014

If it looks like this one, it's wouldn't be my taste.

3. RobPA Oct 11, 2014

I've since found a bad online pic of the one in question. The "Agway" isn't nearly as obnoxious as the example linked to by Georgieboy, smaller font that fits better with the Omega font, but I assume still wouldn't be of much interest to a serious collector.

fi60.jpg
  4. Rallis Oct 12, 2014

I mean if it had "Enron" or "Goldman Sachs" on the dial, I'd probably buy it. But Agway sounds like an Indian take-out joint. Different strokes for different folks. I wouldn't be overly concerned about collectibility on a gold capped Seamaster De Ville anyway. If you like it and can obtain it for > $500, I'd say go for it. If not, continue saving those dimes and buy something that makes the ladies go "oowwwoohhoooowwwooooo".

5. DON Oct 12, 2014

To some yes. To others no. Some may collect watches with company names. Some may buy hoping the name will deter others and get it cheap and then refinish the dial.

If your buying for yourself. Does it bother you? You can always have the dial redone or look for a replacement dial on Ebay and swap out

DON