Forums Latest Members

BWC Lemania 1340 Chrono to lap or not? it's back

1. chipsotoole Oct 4, 2018

Hello Omegoids,
    The self respecting bottom feeder strikes again! As I'm unlikely to ever fork out the serious readies required for a Seamaster Jedi or a Speedmaster Mark III (there are others on my bucket list) , I decided to satisfy my Lemania cal 1340 (omega 1040) craving with a punt on this quite scarce early 70's BWC (Buttes Watch Company) 1340 Lemania loaded chronograph. Although everything works, the movement needs a serious clean up and service (I can see a screw in the rotor missing). I believe the bracelet to also be original. The crystal (with the red scale tachy bizarrely embossed on the inside of it looks to be nigh impossible to replace I'll clean it up as best I can.
    Here are some pics of the slightly sorry state she's in...I reckon the case has been polished at some point quite a long time ago.
    unlap.jpg unlap5.jpg unlap4.jpg unlap2.jpg
    And here is a picture (which I've borrowed from an auction site...naughty) to show the more original lapped finish
    lap.jpg
    My watch guy says he can do it...do you think, given the slightly unfashionable (though well regarded in watch circles) brand and the generally not so loved TV style of the watch, that doing so will have a negative or positive effect on it's value? I'm not planning to flip it, but the state of the case will probably deter me from wearing it. I think this one is worthy of a facelift....thoughts?

GuiltyBoomerang and Northernman like this.
  2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 4, 2018

Rather easy get that brushing. Can you confirm other pieces have that same brushing?

Cool piece.

3. chipsotoole Oct 4, 2018

Thanks. I've seen one other with a similar finish..and there appear to be brushing lines under that sheen. I'll post here once it's done, but unlikely this side of Christmas! one feature I've never come across before is the minute "eye" that moves independently from the hard to make out second hand when the chrono starts ,and counts the minutes past by way of framing the inner circle of orange numbers with the eye!

Edited Oct 4, 2018
    Foo2rama likes this.
  4. Dan S Oct 4, 2018

Honestly, only you can decide. The style of this watch is not for everyone, so I don't think you should base the decision on financial considerations. If you invest in this piece, it must be for your own satisfaction.

chipsotoole likes this.
  5. Northernman Lemaniac Oct 14, 2018

I like it. My “Tell” is very similar in design.
    Differences in case design/bracelet fixture, but very similar indeed.
    Cheers

CDBED0FF-4F91-4CE8-8F5D-82FDC8339625.jpeg

GuiltyBoomerang and chipsotoole like this.
  6. simonsays Oct 14, 2018

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  7. chipsotoole Oct 21, 2018

So I trusted my watch guy to relap my Omega Stingray/Cobra and was so thrilled with the results I've put it in. Unfortunately it was decided the crystal would prove way too expensive to polish..perhaps I'll do that in front of the telly with diamond paste!!
    IMG_3439.jpg IMG_3438.jpg IMG_3437.jpg IMG_3436.jpg

8. chipsotoole Oct 31, 2018

So I went and collected today. He's done a fab job. Neither of us could source the crystal with the embossed red tachy scale on the inside, so I might try carefully try luck with a soft disc dremel and diamond paste for the scratches....long job... IMG_3454.jpeg IMG_3455.jpeg IMG_3456.jpeg

Professor and GuiltyBoomerang like this.