Forums Latest Members

Buying watches that need some help

1. Walrus Jun 1, 2019

Hey. Most of the watches I buy are in fine condition and need little more than a new band and or service. Just recently I picked up a couple omegas that need some TLC. A dynamic which needs only a service and that bezel thingy to hold the watch to the strap. It did come with two original straps with buckles which is nice. I’m not so concerned about that as I’ve already run into a couple of the bezels but it’s on esty and a few people here have mentioned they had issues with true omega parts on esty. I also picked up a sixties Connie for 300 as the second hand wasn’t running and it has a small ding on the corner of the dial which I think was from someone doing a crappy job replacing the crystal.

That part worked out. The hands just needed tightening, movement is fine, bracelet is original. TBH the dial ding does not bother me that much but I’m thinking down the road if I want to trade or sell in my quest to upgrade I may seek out a replacement dial if I can hunt down an original that would be reasonable enough to keep the watch in a decent price range. I started pricing some but tbh the watch is still at my buddies shop so I can’t take a pic although I did post it here although I did when I first got it and was scoffed at a bit for buying it when there were issues with the hand but when we opened the case all the gears looked good so I hoped at worst it would need a canon but not even that just a tightening which is included in the service.

So ding and all I am quite pleased with my sixties constellation. I haven’t been doing a in-depth search for a dial yet, I’ll wait for the service to be complete, get the dial if possible, store it safely and take care of it at a later date. To me it’s a beautiful thing even with this imperfection but I suppose it would bother many of you. It’s just if I find a good deal and I know I have room to work on fixes when I negotiate price I’ll take a little gamble. It actually worked out well for me with a number of other watches in the past. I should note the Connie actaually has extra links which greatly surprised me. So I’m not asking you about price of the dial but I’m wondering if anyone else buys watches that need some help. I realize many of you are “mint” people but I’ve bought classic cars that needed work, 1970 chevelle SS, a 60’s caddy etc. I’m not comparing cars to watches just giving an example. For those of you who will say noob tax I already payed my noob taxes on two Frankenrados which I also made original in the end.

So sorry don’t mean to write a book here and I wish I could post a pic of what I’m talking about but my watch man charges 180 for a complete service, does a good job but is a bit on the slow side. Again, the imperfect dial didn’t bother me that much and I realize you can’t say much without a pic I’m just curious if any others here will gamble a bit if they negotiate a price while pointing out defects. So far I payed 300 for the watch which is all original and 180 for the service which includes a two year guarantee. The dial in it although dinged is original and not touched up
    ie painted.

P.S. I think I may need some assistance. I have had a gold Cellini for years. Yes it is a quartz, I Really like the looks of it but I now have the chance to trade it for a stainless oyster which I believe is a 60’s to seventies. The only thing I know is that it’s been authenticated, probably has no history of service but you all know it can be hard to do anything with a Cellini these days. I see my particular Cellini going for 3-4K but that’s from places that have a target audience. I do have one offer for 2,800 but that’s from bobs and I fear that offer would change dramatically when I send it in. In my eyes these days any stainless vintage Rolex is a solid trade for a Cellini but my knowledge of Rolex is not the best.

Ok sorry for the ramble, I am a noob who has been into watches and collecting for over twenty years but my whole collection of twenty or so watches which includes some Rolex, mind you just the Cellini, a couple vintage omega, Tags, Hamilton, Vostoks and a number more but put together don’t equal even one of the many watches you guy show but it’s ok I really love all my watches.

Thanks again just looking for a little feedback on my jumbled post

2. Pvt-Public Jun 1, 2019

Some just need more help than others.
    IMG_0716.JPG IMG_0715.JPG

Walrus likes this.
  3. Walrus Jun 1, 2019

Thanks and I need to apologize. I had an emergency at work and ended up working 18 hours straight. I got home and hopped on the interenet and wrote this post. I was on extreme sleep depravation which at times can almost be like drunk posting. There really is an actual question somewhere in the mess I wrote when I figure it out I will rewrite it.

BenBagbag likes this.