Forums Latest Members
  1. Tiptop2000 Mar 5, 2017

I'm a newbee to watches so please be kind. I've been spending a lot of time looking at Vintage Speedmasters and would like the 1969 version before the moon reference appeared on the rear case.

Do I look to buy on Chrono24 or eBay or where? I'm Manchester based if that helps. It's all new and I want to make sure I don't end up buying a fake. Or ensure that I end up buying a good one!

Any help or pointers would be amazing.

nonuffinkbloke and Greatoldone like this.
  2. noiseboyuk Mar 5, 2017

This forum community is pretty safe and they crop up on here.
    Other than that it's the big bad world of online sales and auction sites.
    I suggest that you use internet resources to educate yourself as much as possible before diving in.

tapaptpat and Greatoldone like this.
  3. Tiptop2000 Mar 5, 2017

Thanks for that, I'll keep me eye out on here. Always worry with online sites, in terms of eBay I guess it's the same rules apply. Track record and good history. Thanks

tapaptpat likes this.
  4. tyrantlizardrex Mar 5, 2017

Hey @Tiptop2000

Welcome along!

Take a look at Speedmaster101.com - a fantastic information resource before buying.

Good stuff does crop up on ebay, and chrono 24, but so does a lot of tat, and heavily prepared dealer watches.

As @noiseboyuk says, some great stuff gets posted in the marketplace here, and it's always nice to buy from a fellow collector.

Good luck in your quest!

Best

Chris

tapaptpat likes this.
  5. Davidt Mar 5, 2017

I'd avoid C24 as a newbie. Occasionally they get nice pieces as decent prices, but more often than not, they're overpriced and/or do not point out all the deficiencies of a watch. Very much caveat emptor.

eBay is generally a better hunting ground, but again, you've got to know your stuff. It's a tough market. Collectors pounce on the good and uneducated buyers end up with the dregs.

The FS here is your best bet imo. Don't expect any bargains, but usually you're looking at honesty described examples at reasonable prices.

tapaptpat likes this.
  6. tapaptpat Mar 5, 2017

Worth of note as a n00b read read read. As a newcomer myself, you will need to have certain amount of posts before being able to post in the forsale thread. So should you find something you like pm the seller directly and make your case. References from other forums as a buyer or seller will help. EBay rep. and brick and mortar paperwork will help too. Obviously this doesn't need to be watches only. Could be vintage bike parts. You get the idea. Then read read read some more. By all means ask when your stuck. We like helping people who are helping them selves. Then another "rule" no pic never happened so here is a pic.

DSC_3624.JPG
  7. bokbok Mar 5, 2017

sales section on the forum as good as any when one comes up as I sure one will plus more chance of buying one of a reputable member

8. TomGW Mar 5, 2017

If you're UK based, are you a member of TZ-UK? A WTB post on that forum would be a good starting point.

9. bokbok Mar 5, 2017

Needs 200 posts to make a WTB but if a member on tz good place to start. I recognise a few names on this forum from tz [emoji1]

Edited Mar 5, 2017