Forums Latest Members
  1. Moe_Wilensky Oct 13, 2016

Hello internet.

Hoping for some advice on buying a vintage omega wrist watch (shocker, I know), and possibly a link to someone reputable on here that has what I am looking for.

I've never bought a watch before and I've never bought anything on eBay either (and would like to keep it that way), so needless to say I am out of my element on many accounts.

I am trying to find a watch for my father-in-law who is retiring from nearly 50 years as a family doctor.

Ideal watch:

-Probably a Seamaster
    -Super simple (day date at most)
    -Solid gold (really sweet stainless watch could work)
    -Small diameter face (look good on a smaller wrist)
    -Original dial (little patina is fine/desirable)
    -Automatic
    -Cool looking relief image in case back
    -budget really depends on what I am getting, how much I like it and how much faith I have in the seller.

I like vintage items to tell a story so natural wear is good, but I also dont want to have to invest a bunch to get it ready to give.

If nothing else I would love to know what to look out for (good and bad), or just nerd out on some nice watches. I've never been into them before but going down the internet Omega rabbit hole has definitely made me understand the appeal,

Thanks in advance.

Ill post some pics from eBay of the sort of aesthetic I am looking for...

Edited Oct 14, 2016
  2. Moe_Wilensky Oct 13, 2016

Some Pictures to give an idea of the aesthetic I am after...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edited Oct 13, 2016
  3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 13, 2016

Well there is a lot to learn and a lot of traps out there with bad sellers and bad watches.

Im not sure anyone here will vet 7 watches for you and do all the research and price checking. I can recommend the sales section on this forum. The sellers are all known members in good standing and the watches should be correctly described.

4. Moe_Wilensky Oct 13, 2016

Thanks foo2.

I am definitely hoping that a seller on this forum will have something that works. The eBay links are just to give an idea of what I am looking for, sorry for the confusion. I'll delete the links and just post pictures.

Edited Oct 14, 2016
  5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 13, 2016

No it's fine please leave them.

6. Moe_Wilensky Oct 14, 2016

Items I've considered from eBay, but did not pull the trigger for one reason or another.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/131961630114Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/232107628256Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/131961631560Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/291900292424Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/391585940686Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/142138684264Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/162222120413Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

7. Moe_Wilensky Oct 14, 2016

[​IMG]
    Probably a little rough, but I still like the look

Edited Oct 14, 2016
  8. Edward53 Oct 14, 2016

I've never seen an original Seamaster crosshair dial where the lines stop for the text.

Jwit likes this.
  9. Moe_Wilensky Oct 14, 2016

Noted. Thanks for the insight. This is exact the sort of stuff I'd like to know.

10. Edward53 Oct 14, 2016

Of the ebay links you posted:
    1 is a glaring redial. Note the heavy, wonky lettering and minute markers different distances from the hour markers.
    2 looks real to me but lugs overpolished (all sharpness lost) and well overpriced.
    3 looks real to me but lugs damaged and non-Omega case so not ideal.
    4 I am sure this is a redial. Script looks heavy and minute markers in wrong place.
    5 "OMEGA" on the dial seems to start off ok and then loses it! What's going on there? Only 3 photos is not good enough.
    6 has taken a few knocks but looks all genuine to me.
    7 looks fine to me. It only has one "T" next to "Swiss Made" but I think some were made like this (not 100% sure).
    So basically, buying a vintage Omega is full of traps for the newcomer. It's not something to be rushed.

11. ConElPueblo Oct 14, 2016

Loads of the 70's models have that - this one doesn't strike me as being awfully wrong, could well be a 10XX version. Still not very good looking, though!

12. Edward53 Oct 14, 2016

Accepted, the Cosmics etc do and I should have qualified that statement. But I've never seen it in a 60s model and the case shown above is very 60s-looking, 500 or 600 series I would have thought and that type of dial doesn't seem right to me. I could be wrong and I'm willing to stand corrected, one never stops learning!

13. Moe_Wilensky Oct 14, 2016

Thanks all, appreciate the input. What I am really looking for is a watch for sale on this site that has a similar aesthetic to the watches I posted. I am really hoping to avoid eBay entirely. I have perused the for sale forums but I am have trouble fibdi g exactly what I am looking for. Any advice for a post (location and content) that more effective at accomplishing this? Seems I can't post in the wanted section.

Thanks again...

14. tyrantlizardrex Oct 14, 2016

cristos71 likes this.
  15. Moe_Wilensky Oct 14, 2016

16. tyrantlizardrex Oct 14, 2016

A 34mm watch is going to wear incredibly small for most men... 36mm is a real sweet spot... not as chunky as modern offerings... great for sliding under a shirt cuff... large enough to be read with ease.

And this watch is just darned cool. :cool:

17. Moe_Wilensky Oct 14, 2016

Noted.

And to expose the depth of my ignorance... what does the little dial do?

18. Moe_Wilensky Oct 14, 2016

Also, any thoughts on why "PayPal accepted only for established OF member"? I thought PP was safe for everyone...

19. tyrantlizardrex Oct 14, 2016

That's what's known as a sub seconds dial.

PayPal carries risk for sellers. A buyer could say they didn't receive the watch, get their money back... and the seller is screwed.

With a bank transfer its safer for the seller, but no protection for the buyer.

Those that have been around a while, build up good trading relations, and the trust that goes with those.

20. Moe_Wilensky Oct 14, 2016

Oh to live in a world without jerks...

tyrantlizardrex likes this.