Forums Latest Members
  1. Bobs citizens Aug 10, 2012

Greetings Everyone....

A quick story regarding my 74 Geneve...I have learned a lot, some of the pitfalls regarding buying vintage and repairs!

Bought the watch from a watch maker online, not e-bay. Paid $600 for the watch, probably too much, but what do I know!

A couple weeks later, I received the watch, second hand had fallen off during shipment. Not a big deal, a watch maker put it back on for me.

The watch was running very slow several minutes a day. Left it on the shelf for a long time and kicked myself for it.

Last May brought it to a watch maker and had it serviced! Yes, I know now to get a vintage watch serviced despite what the seller says! The watch maker serviced the watch and replaced some parts, which ones.. I don't know. That was $225.

The watch ran fine, but rather fast at 20 seconds per day. I did tricks, positioning, winding every other day etc. Helped bring the rate down quite a bit.

Tired of the routine, took watch in a few days ago to another watch maker. She adjusted the timing for me for a sum of $20. She was not too confident, but told me she would do her best. Fine...I thought. Watch is running minus 12 a day! Still not satisfied.

Took it to a different watch maker to see what he could do. This gentlemen was older and very confident. Put the watch on a timer stated not too bad off by 10 seconds. He said he timed it for "right on". Told me to expect to lose plus - minus about 30 seconds a month. I doubt 30 seconds, but none the less... only been 8 hours, still spot on. BTW...He charged me $6 for his service!

Been my most liked watch, that and my vintage Hamiltons. Now even more so!

To a newbie like me.. learned not all watch makers are the same...look very hard before you leap and do a lot of reading!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry for long post!

Best

Bob

[​IMG][/IMG]

2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 10, 2012

Lol, Thanks for the story, kind of like taking a car to the dealer huh.;)

3. alam Aug 10, 2012

I had a similar experience with my first Volvo..... four trips to the dealer, a new ECU computer and $1800 later seem to take care of the problem. Those were my non-watch days.

4. Bobs citizens Aug 11, 2012

Yes.. very well said...like finding a good mechanic! I am learning!

Bob

5. MKelley Aug 13, 2012

Thanks, also a newbie this really makes for good advice:thumbsup: