Forums Latest Members

Buying Omega Speedmaster at Costco?

1. WHDH Nov 10, 2013

Dear all, I am new to this forum. Am the market for watches for both me and my wife to celebrate our 20th. Went to Costco today and saw this Omega Speedmaster (I think it is a 3222) for US$3100 (ok, so this one is for me as she prefers small watches with diamond). Am wondering has anyone bought watches from Costco before and whether this is indeed a Speedmaster 3222? Also welcome recommendations for what watches to buy. My budget is $10K for two watches but I figure probably need to spend more on hers.

IMAG1417.jpg
  2. Superdoc Nov 10, 2013

If price is your sole motivation, then I would feel comfortable knowing that you would be purchasing a genuine Omega...

But for me... I'd rather not buy my 20th anniversary gift at the same place I buy my toilet paper...

There's much to be said for sipping champagne while trying on watches, and getting a bit of pampering from the boutiques...or buying when abroad, and having the watch as a souvenir of a trip ....

I think that a timepiece as such that would mean so much and last so long should have some romanticism in the story behind its purchase...

Watches, like jewelery, like that diamond with which you proposed, are objects of emotion ( Omega and its competitors are counting on that)..

don't soil it by making it an add on to 2lbs of ketchup, and a crate of underarm deodorant...

epl108, MKelley, Tritium and 2 others like this.
  3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 10, 2013

Not really a great deal either

4. WHDH Nov 10, 2013

Points taken, thanks.

So, how about the watch? I like the Speedmaster (with blue dial) but not sure where should I buy it. Any suggestions? I travel abroad for business from time to time and will have a connecting flight at the Tokyo airport next month. Will it be better to buy it at the duty free shop at the airport or should I just go to an AD in town (I live in DC area).

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 10, 2013

6. Superdoc Nov 11, 2013

I would consider going to a boutique first.... this way, you could try on a larger variety of watches, have any questions actually answered, and get a better feel for the brand/watches, and get a clear view of the various MSRP -

If the no discounts turn you off, you could always then send George the reference number, and he can get you anything...

(you'll appreciate the price difference even more)...

7. CdnWatchDoc Nov 11, 2013

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Omega will not honour any documentation from Costco, as it is not an AD. So, if having a new watch with a warranty is important, check in with an AD or boutique.

8. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Nov 11, 2013

Costco will provide warranty through its own guidelines which leaves you at the mercy of whoever they choose to service their watches (which I hope is a reputable watchmaker).

9. ctime3 Nov 29, 2013

i personally have heard horror stories from people I have met on vacation and striking up conversations about their sales. I personally would stay away. I would go with Kringkily. His reputation has been A+

10. Buck2466 Nov 30, 2013

Do a google search on Omega vs. Costco. It went all the way to the Supreme Court with Omega technically winning. Basically, Omega sued Costco for selling it's watches as an Unauthorized distributor by obtaining them through the gray market and reselling them. Omega stepped in an attempt to control the distribution of it's watches and technically won a split decision 4-4 by the Supreme Court, with one judge abstaining, so the lower court's ruling in Omega's favor was upheld. So, basically the consumers are the ones that ended up losing.

11. ulackfocus Nov 30, 2013

I think you might be a little strong with your terminology. Nobody 'lost' anything - people can still buy Omegas.

12. Buck2466 Nov 30, 2013

I'm not saying you can't buy an Omega any more. What I meant was with the ruling favoring Omega, they are able to have a tighter control on the distribution of their watches which gives them tighter control on the prices of their watches (higher prices and less discounting) which in the end hurts us in the pocketbook,that's all.

13. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 30, 2013

Yes, it is true that people can still buy Omegas. However, the ruling did hurt the idea of a free market where competition sets the true value, rather than an artificial MSRP enforced by the manufacturer. I'm not a big fan of "fair trade" pricing, which has been making a huge comeback in this country after being declared illegal in the 1970's.

Fact of the matter is that Omega got the Court's message loud and clear. Over the last few years, they've been yanking franchises of smaller AD's who didn't meet their new upgraded standards. Once Omega gains total control of the distribution of their product via the Boutique system, the point will be moot, as there will be no competition. The only place to buy an Omega will be from Omega.

Rant over,
    gatorcpa

14. Clem Dec 16, 2013

buy at any authorize omegar dealer.

15. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 16, 2013

You missed my point.

Pretty soon, there won't be any more authorized dealers. Only Omega.

No competition is never a good thing in my opinion.
    gatorcpa

16. ulackfocus Dec 16, 2013

But that's how the Swiss play. They won't be told by ANYONE how they can run THEIR business. Look at what Cartier / Richemont and Rolex did when they were forced to offer parts to independents - they made the qualifications ridiculous to get an account. If the US courts make a move, the Swiss have a way to make a mockery of it.

For the record, I don't like it either since free enterprise is a cornerstone of America. You do have to give the Swiss makers a point or two for the way they control their brand though.

17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 16, 2013

Quote function still not working so bear with me...

CdnWatchDoc said this:

"Correct me if I'm wrong, but Omega will not honour any documentation from Costco, as it is not an AD. So, if having a new watch with a warranty is important, check in with an AD or boutique."

And Kringkily said this:

"Costco will provide warranty through its own guidelines which leaves you at the mercy of whoever they choose to service their watches (which I hope is a reputable watchmaker). "

So it just happens that someone posted this photo they took at their local Costco at the watch case:

[​IMG]

I don't know if this is a facility where they actually have watchmakers on staff, but I have seen comments on other forums where people have said Costco will send the watch back to the brand service center if they have to. And regarding being at the mercy of whoever they choose, have you seen some of the work done by Omega service centers? Holy crap...and not just Omega because I have seen some horrible work come out of the Richemont service center here in Canada (both on IWC and Panerai).

Along with the photo above, the person posted some watches - no Omegas, but did show a Chanel J12 ceramic, Panerai "Fiddy" GMT 8 day, JLC chronograph, and a Breitling.

Just saying if the deal is good, it may certainly be worth buying from them, and for the record I don't need a fancy store to buy a watch from - I want the watch, not the "experience" in particular when that experience tends to cost me a lot of extra money...

Paper towels in bulk, more cheese than I can eat in 6 months, a 12 pack of spaghetti sauce, and a JLC? That's fine with me mate. ;)

Cheers, Al

nntw, ron n, gatorcpa and 2 others like this.
  18. ulackfocus Dec 16, 2013

Agreed - but I still want a manufacturer's warranty. That's why I'll keep buying from the same dealer.

:p Don't forget the 5 gallon container of mayonnaise.

19. shadco Dec 16, 2013

Some of us go thru a lot of pomme frites.

But I don't think I'll buy a watch there.::rimshot::

20. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 16, 2013

5 gallons of mayo? What do you think I'm from Quebec or something? LOL! (Quebeckers like to dip their French Fries in mayo, rather than ketchup....).