Forums Latest Members
  1. kristal Jan 12, 2020

Hi guys and Happy New Year! I am a new member who is looking to buy a vintage Omega and I would highly appreciate your thoughts and feedback as I am very new in the omega world. I would be glad if you could tell me what do you think about the authenticity of the models as well as if there any "redial" in any of these models.

Option 1: Omega Jumbo 38 from 1947: Pictures 1-4

Option 2: Omega Seamaster two tone dial 1950s: Pictures 5-8

Option 3: Omega Seamaster two tone gray dial 1950s: Pictures 9-12

Option 4: Omega Seamaster Deville 1960s: Pictures 13-15 (no pics of the calib are provided in the ad)

Thanks a lot and sorry for the long post!

omega_jumb02.jpg omega_jumbo3.jpg omega_jumbo4.jpg omega_jumbo5.jpg omega_seamaster1.jpg omega_seamaster3.jpg omega_seamaster4.jpg omega_Seamaster5.jpg omega_seamastergray1.jpg omega_seamastergray2.jpg omega_seamastergray4.jpg omega_seamastergray5.jpg deville1.jpg deville2.jpg deville3.jpg
    Edited Jan 12, 2020
  2. bardamu Jan 12, 2020

My two cents:

Option 1: redial
    Option 2: nice watch, all original AFAIK, quite attractive
    Option 3: probably redial, wrong crown
    Option 4: honest watch, original dial.

Sidnos likes this.
  3. ERBM Jan 12, 2020

Option 1 I'm not too sure on the dial, something in the first photo with the letter of "Omega" that doesn't quite sit right with me, but I'm no expert I think some of the other more experienced members would be able to that dial is original.

Option 2 The dial definitely looks original to me, can't quite see from the photos but the case looks like it might have been polished due to the rounding of the lugs.

Option 3 Dial also looks original, agree with Bardamu on the crown it's not signed so will be a replacement with detracts from the value and desirability.

Option 4 Dial also looks original as well, can't see any issues with the case or crown either.

Advice on purchasing from someone who is also reasonably new to the world of vintage Omegas; all of these watches will probably need a service, there are plenty of threads on here where you will be able to find a good watchmaker to service the movement in your area, as other watch servicing places will probably try to replace parts and polish the cases, which once done can rarely be undone.

4. bardamu Jan 12, 2020

On option 2 I don't like the font of "Omega Automatic", but honestly "Seamaster" seems original to me.

5. kristal Jan 12, 2020

Thanks a lot guys for your time and help! two more questions:
    1) Should I be worried that in Option 4 there is no photo of the mechanism?
    2) In general what price range do you think would be reasonable for the aforementioned watches based on your experiences?

6. ERBM Jan 12, 2020

1) likely front-loaded i.e. everything is assembled through the front of the watch, I would think the seller would need to completely disassemble the watch to get a picture of the movement.

2) I’m novice as well, so not too sure on exact prices but there’s lots of thread on here of previous sales in the private watch sales section that you can use to get an idea. I don’t think any of the will be over 1000 though.

7. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jan 12, 2020

Be aware that option four is only about 32mm, AKA mid-size, which is significantly smaller than the standard 34mm SDV.

Number one is a bad redial.

Number three is a complete franken, not a Seamaster and the movement should be a 28,10 RA, which is a sub-seconds movement.

Edited Jan 12, 2020
  8. wagudc Jan 12, 2020

9. OMEGuy Jan 12, 2020

Option 2 and 4 are honest and show their age in an appealing way.

10. bardamu Jan 13, 2020

Agree. I'd go for option 2.