Forums Latest Members
  1. ThePiper Oct 18, 2017

Advice please, looking at purchasing a moon watch, options appear are new /secondhand/grey market
    Unfortunately living in Australia there seem to be far less opportunities to purchase at a reasonable price.
    So purchase new $6350 used $4000 upwards ( reputable company)
    Bearing in mind servicing costs Omega $1100
    Alternatives import from overseas however could any one inform please of custom duties I would pay.
    Looking at face value believe I would be far better off buying new from Omega at least it would have two years warranty and no immediate service costs

2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 18, 2017

Service costs $400 or so... no need to use omega.

3. ac106 Oct 18, 2017

Why don’t you reach out to @ashleysteadman

He’s located in Australia also. I’m sure he can source something for you. I’ve never dealt with him but he has lots of good feedback in the review forum and has been posting here forever.

He just sold a moonwatch in June for $3800 aus. I’d def check him out

Edited Oct 18, 2017
    mikechi22 and nurseford25 like this.
  4. ThePiper Oct 19, 2017

Thanks ac106, for good information ,will look at for sale here.

5. panaitchrono Oct 19, 2017

Money are not getting me out of my house so usually I prefer to buy a used watch. An used Omega watch which was take good care it will looks and act as a new one in my opinion and it will cost much less money.

6. rob#1 Oct 19, 2017

Shop around - in Sydney at an AD you can get a moonwatch new for a shade over AUD $5,000, with box, etc and full warranty

7. ThePiper Oct 20, 2017

rob#1 I thank you for your reply, please inform where in Sydney I can purchase brand new omega professional moon watch for a shade over $5000.with box,etc and full warranty, I would be eternally grateful to you.

8. ac106 Oct 20, 2017

Is new with warranty really worth $1200 over preowned from a trusted seller?

9. rob#1 Oct 20, 2017

Ring the ADs, check availability, visit stores and negotiate - worked for me. Tried on a range of amazing watches too Alternatively as ac106 notes, great second-hand full sets come up regularly on the forum and are well worth considering. I just had an opportunity to do something I’d always hankered after, and went for it. Good luck

10. ThePiper Oct 20, 2017

Very valued point, ac 106 , from my perspective with a new watch one would like to believe no problems if there are two year factory warranty, think there could be problems returning a used watch to seller to fix, just the hassles really also no service cost for at least five years . personally I would not have my watch serviced by independent watchmaker. To me $5000 for a brand new omega moon watch from a omega AD would be a steal.

11. ThePiper Oct 20, 2017

Thanks rob#1. I guess I am asking where did you purchase your Moon watch from (you did buy I assume) here in QLD little to no room to purchase under recommended retail price, I visit Syd from time to time so would be very beneficial for me to know exact said AD

12. rob#1 Oct 20, 2017

Check the Omega site - there are only 2 ADs in Sydney (plus 2 OBs), wait for your next visit there as the $$ saved is worth it.

13. gvids Oct 21, 2017

You really have to factor in the cost of a proper full service at the very least . Can't deny the security of a brand new watch. Really depends on your risk threshold ;)

ThePiper likes this.
  14. ThePiper Oct 27, 2017

Common consensus here are buy secondhand, however researching used omega moon watch prices here in Australia from trussed dealers appear $1000 saving on brand new, bearing in mind taking in to equation a brand new time peace wont require a service for quite a considerable time and any faults if any are covered by a warranty, in my case I intending to keep the watch forever, so I shall buy new. ( from my point of view buying privately with little to no watch expertise is a risk)

15. dan7800 Nov 2, 2017

I've been wondering the same. Can get a new moon watch for 3200 on Amazon, and the cheapest used in decent shape seem to be 2500. Toss on service and it is basically the cost a new one.

16. ThePiper Nov 3, 2017

Maybe in the States , prices I can only dream of, certainly not here in Australia ,

17. bdp Nov 3, 2017

If you do purchase a watch overseas and have it sent to Australia you will pay 10%GST on the value of the watch. No GST is payable on items under $1000. I have done this and it adds up.
    Better to try to buy here. If you travel overseas you may be able to get a slightly better deal from the airport.
    There are a couple of Speedmaster Tin Tin racing for sale in Australia at the moment for about $5500.
    Good luck with the search

18. dan7800 Nov 3, 2017

I am not saying that this is a good buy by any means, but I came across this on Ebay. Not sure if it helps: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Omega-Spee...363170?hash=item33d9ad9262:g:5XkAAOSwez5Z152lPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Not trying to steal the thread, but any idea why it says 1982 in the title, but the movement is dated to 1983? Does this seem to be a mere mistake?

19. ThePiper Nov 3, 2017

Cant really comment on the year dates as I don't have the "Omega knowledge"
    Thinking of a trip to Brisbane anyone here dealt with Hardy's there and got a reasonable deal?, also to put another spanner in the works a couple of mint Tin tin have appeared in Syd . Would appreciate comments when dealing with a OB or dealer does cash work better to secure a better deal .

20. ThePiper Nov 3, 2017

Thanks bdp, really like the Tin Tin.