Forums Latest Members

Buying my first Speedmaster, would like to have opinion of someone if the watch is legit.

1. Ilumidam Jul 27, 2017

Hello,
    so I'm looking to buy my first Speedmaster. It's 1988 145.0022 with box and papers. But since I'm 20 y.o. and I'm into watches only five years, I would like to have opinion on them (legitimity mostly). I made a lot of research, the case, dial, back, strap are all matching in my opinion, dial looks great and a luminescence looks like yellowed. But seller can't open watches for me to look for serial number. It's a quite lot of money for me (one year of part time work and saving every cent I could) so I don't want to burn my self. Also what value they have what is your range opinion?

Thanks for every response in advance.

Those are photos I was sent:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 27, 2017

I see no issues but factor in a service at about 500 for it. As I don't think it's been opened.

It's been worn and some small dings on the case but never polished.

The lume aged nicely. It's consistent with a watch produced around then.

wavey and Ilumidam like this.
  3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 27, 2017

How are you buying it? Keep in mind there are a lot of scams around online involving Speedmasters and be very careful

mr_yossarian, Ilumidam and Foo2rama like this.
  4. Ilumidam Jul 27, 2017

It's auction house, everything seems legitimate. It's auction house with history, but what troubles me is the price, they priced it under 2000 pounds. I know that in auction it can mean nothing since there is no cap on price, but still that was thing that worried me a bit.

5. glownyc Jul 27, 2017

Are you talking about the estimate?

Ilumidam likes this.
  6. Ilumidam Jul 27, 2017

Yeah I meant estimate.

7. Dash1 Jul 27, 2017

The watch looks nice. Being an auction it could go for any price, but you have to be in it to win it so set yourself a firm budget and bid up to that. Good luck!

mr_yossarian and Ilumidam like this.
  8. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Jul 27, 2017

And remember to factor in any premiums/commissions/taxes into the hammer price when setting your limit.

Good luck :thumbsup:

9. Ilumidam Jul 27, 2017

That's what I'm going to do! I know the price can go way higher but still the estimate surprised me. Now it's just about luck. Thanks to EU taxes and import fees don't bother me, now it could also forbid buyers premium and life would be sweet. Just kidding.

10. glownyc Jul 27, 2017

Low estimates are just used by auctions to entice buyers.

gemini4 and Ilumidam like this.
  11. mr_yossarian Jul 27, 2017

It's a very nice looking one, beautiful patina, really worth striving for. Casback seems to have remains of the sealing, underlining the overall condition of being not worn to often. I'd try to asses what is typically payed for this reference and add something on top. Because: Condition, Condition, Condition! This is a buy not to be regreted later. My two cents.

Ilumidam likes this.
  12. Ilumidam Jul 27, 2017

Exactly I know that if I will win, I will not regret it, but I'm just student that saves a lot, so my budget is limited.

13. mr_yossarian Jul 27, 2017

Fully understand situations with limited budget. Will let you value it even more and that's a good thing.
    Calculate well how long you will be on Maccaroni Cheese Dinner if yiu max it out. And have been 20 too, I can tell you you will survive very long on mediocre food :)

Ilumidam and Taddyangle like this.
  14. padders Oooo subtitles! Jul 27, 2017

I haven't bothered to look but if it is at Fellows, be aware they now charge about 32% on top buyers premium so even if it only makes £2k you are laying out £2,640. Their fees are now ludicrous.

Ilumidam likes this.
  15. mr_yossarian Jul 27, 2017

32??? Out of general principal I wouldn't buy there..

Foo2rama and padders like this.
  16. Timeless Jul 27, 2017

It looks great and very close to one that Im looking to buy from 1984. Price is 3000€ :(. And from my research is the "normal". Good luck with it!

image.jpeg
  17. onthedial Jul 27, 2017

@Ilumidam
    Offering any specific advice is predicated, first, on knowing if you live in or outside of the UK. And, I'm assuming that the auction house you referenced is in the UK, correct?

Ilumidam likes this.
  18. Ilumidam Jul 27, 2017

I live outside UK but in EU and yes the auction house is in UK.