Forums Latest Members

Buying My First Speedmaster... but which one?

1. SaltWaterNTarmac Jun 18, 2018

Hello All, I am looking for advice on what to get for my first Speedmaster. This is my first swiss watch as well. I have been enamored with the Speedmaster since first becoming interested in watches a few months ago and am now ready to buy!

My first thought was I wanted the sapphire sandwich model because I love the display back and the extra resilience of the sapphire as I will be wearing this watch a lot. But lately I've been thinking I want to pay up for a Speedy Tuesday just because it is so beautiful and I love the limited nature of special editions. I also really like the 57 Trilogy Speedmaster.

Any advice you can give on which Speedmaster I should get is greatly appreciated, it can be vintage, some other special edition, or tell me to save the money and forget all that! Tips on where to buy would be great too.

2. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Jun 18, 2018

I think you should get the sapphire sandwich. I also think you should wear red trousers tomorrow and eat fish and chips for lunch on Friday.

3. Tootalltim Jun 18, 2018

Buy the one you like the look of best, and does the things you want it to do

Baz9614 likes this.
  4. gostang9 Jun 18, 2018

If you want a Speedmaster, only you know what you prefer:
    - new and modern? Look into the FS ads on OF for late models at discounts to new prices - should be ~$3500 USD
    - slightly worn? There are often 10-30 year old models that come for sale, they can be $2900 to $4500 USD depending on age and condition
    - vintage? These also come up and prices are going to infinity and beyond, it's a deep rabbit hole and if you start searching you may never return.. to sanity that is.

The classic Speedmaster is with the hesalite crystal and is usually preferred. Just order a tube of polywatch and you can take care of minor scuffs when they happen.

jankymutt and Pun like this.
  5. SaltWaterNTarmac Jun 18, 2018

I definitely thought people here would be enabling me to spend more money. These are very reasonable responses. I really like the Speedy Tuesday but paying double for that over a standard moonwatch seems crazy, unless one assumes it may only increase in value. But speculation is probably not for the first time buyer. Would my AD be able to get even close in price to what people are selling new watches for on the FS ads? Or is buying from an AD and paying sales tax only for fools?

6. gostang9 Jun 18, 2018

That's what the WRUW thread is for... (good to lock up your wallet and put all your credit cards in blocks of ice before viewing !

The opposite of crazy is rational/sane/sensible. Those terms have no relevance when talking watches, so crazy is what most of us do here. Just ask my wife! :cool:

It depends on your AD and the currency you're in. I live in Canada and with CAD have been able to get close to grey market sellers before, but not recently. AD's normally give discounts based on how popular/unpopular each watch is and whether they've hit their sales targets. The only way to find out is to go into your nearest one, be as nice as you can be (ie: hide the crazy...), strike up a nice conversation and see what they're willing to offer. Helps to have a good idea what you can get the same watch for elsewhere and then you'll know on the spot if they get close enough. Some people like the experience of buying new at a dealer, and if that's you, you might be okay with a small premium. How much of a premium would put you in the 'fool' category is entirely up to you.

jankymutt likes this.
  7. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 18, 2018

First Swiss watch, buy new box and papers. Standard Moon watch is what you want before you jump in the deep end.

Sapphire sandwich is up to you but most enjoy the hesalite and the looking at the movement only last a few weeks then you get over it ;)

jankymutt and SaltWaterNTarmac like this.
  8. ulackfocus Jun 18, 2018

I think that either of the following APs would be great choices:

The Jules Audemars 15120OR:

AP 1.png

The Jules Audemars 25955OR.OO.D002CR.01:

AP 2.png

9. AdamS Jun 18, 2018

To me, a 3570.50 is perfect for a first moon watch

[​IMG]

Seaman and dan7800 like this.
  10. BatDad Jun 18, 2018

This is excellent advice! Although you would do well to look at the private sales section, and the seller reviews thread to get a sense of trusted sellers. You could pick up something that has some age to it for around the same price as a new boxed speedy.

jankymutt and akshayluc420 like this.
  11. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Jun 18, 2018

Chahuteur!

12. ulackfocus Jun 18, 2018

For every Speedmaster recommendation in a thread asking for classy dress watches, there will be a post recommending a classy dress watch or two in a Speedmaster thread. Yin and Yang. Tit for tat.

Balance must we achieve.

Yoda.png

Jhawlz9989, alam, ext1 and 4 others like this.
  13. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jun 18, 2018

Balance?

If I had to guess, I would say 90% of OF members do not wear dresses (at least in public), thus reducing the % of time that should be devoted to dress watches.

::bleh::

14. ulackfocus Jun 18, 2018

Well, I post 90% of the intelligent content so right back atcha! :taunt: ::stirthepot::

(Sorry Al, William, Lou, and Marc - it was just a joke!)

So what if I wear women's clothes now & again! :p Besides, Scotsmen wear plaid skirts all the time!

jankymutt likes this.
  15. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jun 18, 2018

Pics, or it didn't happen. With matching dress-watch naturally.

ulackfocus likes this.
  16. BenBagbag Jun 18, 2018

Dear OP,

Please send us a picture of your wrist so we can make a more informed decision. And please remember to wear shoes for the picture (CC: @sdre).

jankymutt and ulackfocus like this.
  17. ulackfocus Jun 18, 2018

18. tyrantlizardrex Jun 18, 2018

Possibly a daft question @SaltWaterNTarmac - but have you tried on any of the variants that you mention?

19. SaltWaterNTarmac Jun 18, 2018

Here is a wrist pic with me wearing shoes...
    My wrist measure 2 1/8" across or 54mm.

I've tried on the sapphire sandwich at an AD. It looked much smaller on my wrist than I had assumed. Probably rules out the '57 Speedie since that's 39mm not 42mm right?

My second watch will definitely be a dress watch (possibly JLC Reverso) unless I get sucked down the speedie rabbit hole and only buy those.

wrist.jpg
    Edited Jun 18, 2018
  20. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 18, 2018

Now we know it's for your right arm. A speedmaster is not for you.
    Just watch any lefty using pushers. :whistling: They have this weird unco thing going on ;)

jankymutt likes this.