Forums Latest Members

Buying my first serious watch – Advice from the community is needed please.

1. Fazer Feb 20, 2020

Hello, as this is my first post I hope it's the right place for my question.

For as long as I can remember the only luxury watch that I’ve ever wanted to buy is the Speedmaster. For years and years I’ve wanted one, however as I’m just a normal guy that doesn’t have a lot of spare cash to save (or spend), the thought of being able to spend 4000 GBP on my dream watch has always seemed impossible, until now.

At the current rate of saving I should be able to get one within the next 16 to 20 weeks, but something has come along that could speed things up if the information, and my research is correct.

I’ve been offered a Seamaster Diver 300M Automatic 41.5 Chronograph Titanium / Blue / Bracelet – Reference:2298.80.00 (See Attached File)

As you can see from the picture it needs an insert for the damaged bezel, however, apart from that it looks in remarkably good condition for the year, which I think is around 1999, but I’m not sure!

The guy who I’d be buying it from is getting me a price for the bezel insert from a local jewellery/watch shop that has just fixed his speedy. He’s offered it to me for 1250 GBP because at that price he’s making money from it as he works in the jewellery trade, and acquired it as part of a deal.

I’ve been looking at the same watches on chrono24 and they seem to sell for around 2K upto 2400 GBP, so my question is this, at this price am I doing the right thing or not, if I buy it fix the bezel and sell it? The more I look at it the more I like it, so I might end up keeping it!

Thanks in advance

seamaster1.png
  2. vbrad26 Feb 20, 2020

The finish line is near and you are getting antsy. If you want a Speedmaster, wait till you can afford the Speedmaster.
    Buying a watch to "hold you over" (even if it is a good deal) usually is not the best idea, at least not in my experience.
    Sounds like you are trying to flip it, but honestly I'd just wait.

JanV, ConElPueblo, Faz and 11 others like this.
  3. Omega-Q Feb 20, 2020

I agree with @vbrad26, and to add on...do you really want your first purchase to be a "less than perfect" watch? Buying your first luxury watch is a big deal, but patience is the key to finding the perfect one!

You stated you've always wanted a Speedmaster. Then, why are you looking at a Seamaster? Both are completely different watches and actually wear differently too! I'd recommend you wait for that perfect one!

Shep, NYCwatchgal and vbrad26 like this.
  4. gdupree Feb 20, 2020

+1 to brad... You'll like the speedy even more knowing you worked hard a saved for it instead of taking shortcuts (which probably won't work out, especially if you aren't already very knowledgeable about buying/selling watches)

Syrte and vbrad26 like this.
  5. NYCwatchgal Feb 20, 2020

Agree with @vbrad26. Get your dream watch first. Why settle?

It's like getting a new car. I want metallic grey but the dealer only has black. Go to the next dealer because you won't be satisfied.

Jeeper, Omega-Q and vbrad26 like this.
  6. Evitzee Feb 20, 2020

Agree what the others have said.....stay the course and get the watch you really want. These 'deals' that come up just serve as a money sink and derail what you really want. Pass on this one and keep your head down as you head towards the finish line.

7. timecube Feb 20, 2020

...unless you're looking for an original Model T.

DaveK, kkt and vbrad26 like this.
  8. mz_cle Feb 20, 2020

Hear hear. Get the watch you've been saving for. You're almost there.

NYCwatchgal and Syrte like this.
  9. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Feb 20, 2020

It’s a strange time on the watch market now, as a layperson you certainly should not be venturing into buying a watch that has issues thinking you’re going to get it repaired and make money reselling it. You might lose money and waste your time and that would be a bitter lesson.
    Keep you hard earned cash and energy for what you really want.

gdupree, gostang9, marco and 3 others like this.
  10. Ian_km Feb 20, 2020

I’d wait for the Speedy and consider that the £4K is list price, when pushed an authorised dealer will give at least 10% off that price.

You may need to visit a couple of ADs to play them off.

lindo likes this.
  11. Jeeper Feb 20, 2020

Buy the one you want. You have gone from desire straight to trying to make a profit from something that you don’t know. Lookin at your pricing in GBP I assume you are in UK.

BE STRONG & speak with AD, if you have a grown up discussion you will get 10% discount with ease. 20% + is achievable (not from boutique) on a lot of models.

You might never be in the position to buy another, so buy what your heart has always wanted.

Good luck & Enjoy what you have always sought.

Jeeper

NYCwatchgal and OmegaRookie like this.
  12. PhilF Feb 20, 2020

I've quoted this guy before and it seems both fitting and applicable here:
    "The most expensive watch you'll ever buy is the one that you bought Instead of the one you really wanted "
    The Speedmaster Professional is, most likely, the most iconic, interesting, historic and satisfying watch I've ever owned. Once you start down that road, follow it and don't settle. If it's what you truly love, go for it!

NYCwatchgal, Shep, DaveK and 2 others like this.
  13. cvalue13 Feb 20, 2020

Was here to post the same quote

PhilF and pongster like this.
  14. fraglerock Feb 20, 2020

This is perfect. Buy the dream!

PhilF likes this.
  15. Burr Feb 21, 2020

Great quote! Gotta remember this one.

OP, echoing other comments but save up and get the watch you really want. Don’t get derailed!

PhilF likes this.
  16. ExpiredWatchdog Feb 21, 2020

I'd also be suspicious of the seller; I've read several posts from knowledgeable sources that Omega doesn't sell bezel inserts, only complete bezels. Just a guess but I think prices were near a grand, just for the bezel.

I wonder what else is fishy (and there could be many things).

17. pongster Feb 21, 2020

Fishy? Hmmm. Probably why called a SEAmaster.

Levity aside, i’d suggest to OP to go to a store and try a speedmaster and a seamaster in person. And see what sings to him.

ExpiredWatchdog likes this.
  18. ExpiredWatchdog Feb 21, 2020

Damn, now I gotta go find some footage of my SMPO with fish in the background.

Here's a stand-in taken a few years before I acquired the watch:
    Tiger 2.png

19. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Feb 21, 2020

Oh and then OP might even remain stuck with a bad watch, having sunken more than half his watch savings into a piece of junk. that would be bad.

20. gostang9 Feb 21, 2020

If he works in the jewelry business and is offering the watch to you, it means he doesn’t have other buyers for it at higher prices. The watch is damaged and not as desirable as your desired Speedmaster.

Selling watches for profit is not easy, no matter the “deal” you think you’re getting.

Wait for the watch you want.

fraglerock and pongster like this.