Forums Latest Members

Buying my first Seamaster (ref 2577 - 1). Any suggestion or opinion?

1. fra.marce Apr 12, 2018

Hello everybody, I am new to this forum and I really appreciate this possibility to share infos about omega watches

I am about to buy my first Seamaster for 500€, as you can see in the following pictures. reference 2577 - 1, caliber 351 ref 139.....
    Do you have any opinion about the price? Do you think it is worthy for the conditions?

1.JPG 2.JPG 4.JPG 3.JPG
  2. Lucasssssss Apr 12, 2018

No, it is a collection of cobbled together parts and a refinished and re-lumed dial. Walk (or run) away. If you are looking for a Seamaster you cant go wrong with the sales section of this forum.

adi4 and fra.marce like this.
  3. COYI Apr 12, 2018

I'd certainly avoid that one.
    The dial has been repainted which means it is not very desirable for collectors/enthusiasts who crave originality. The movement also looks grubby.

My advice would be not to rush into a first purchase. Take some time to learn more about vintage watches. There is a wealth of information on this forum.

fra.marce likes this.
  4. padders Oooo subtitles! Apr 12, 2018

No 2577 ever looked like that. What a shame it wasn't left unmolested. The first of the Seamasters, though that movement number is very late for a 2577-1 so has probably been swapped too. This is what it a 2577 should look like (though there are many variations)

[​IMG]

dxholdren, fra.marce and COYI like this.
  5. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Apr 12, 2018

OP, your mantra for meditation: Educate first, buy second. Repeat whenever you get the urge to search eBay for vintage watches.

fra.marce and COYI like this.
  6. Vausa412 Apr 12, 2018

I was going to ask how Lucassss was able to spot the "donated" parts from a low res picture. So the dial was taken from another Seamaster or totally repainted? Not disclosing such information is pretty brazen of the seller.

7. Lucasssssss Apr 12, 2018

It is likely repainted, it is brazen of the seller to not disclose it, but most sellers on eBay do it. You can tell from the photo of the movement, the rotor and the movement are different colours. Here is an example of an Omega bumper movement similar to yours, as you can seeit is all an even colour.

PC080133.JPG

Vausa412 likes this.
  8. pmontoyap Apr 12, 2018

Its also overly polished. Look for sharp edges on the bezel and lugs. There is a very informative thread on this topic by @hoipolloi

https://omegaforums.net/threads/unpolished-cases.73886/#post-935720

To resume make sure your first purchase meets all of the following requirements

Unpolished case
    Even color on the movement
    Original dial (light spotting or patina is OK)

Its not that difficult just search diligently and be patient and update when you do pull the trigger

fra.marce likes this.