Forums Latest Members

Buying my first quality timepiece - Seamaster Diver

1. Drewski Dec 28, 2016

Hi Everyone,

So glad to have found this site. Like countless others before me, I’m one of those who has been longing for my first proper mechanical timepiece, but the thought of spending that much money is a tough pill to swallow. I’m also an accountant which probably contributes to that mindset.

Regardless, after looking and researching ad nauseam for a couple years now – I am ready to move forward. I'm set on Omega and more specifically on a Seamster Diver 300 M CO-AXIEL 41MM. I love the look, versatility, and the style that in my opinion has held the test of time so far and will continue to do so. I plan on wearing this daily and for a long time (I’ve been wearing my current citizen echo-drive for 11 years now).

What I have read around on this forum and others has been fantastic. At the moment, I’m leanings towards the whole – if I can find a significant enough discount through grey market where the savings would exceed the cost of a full service should anything go wrong – this might be worth it to me in lieu of going boutique or AD. The retail price at my local AD’s are around at $4K, and prices I currently see online with some of the well-known grey market retailers would get me there.

A few questions I have for the community if anyone would be so willing to help:

- I have seen discussion about the possibility to still get new from reputable sellers at great discounts with the possibility of still getting the manufacturer warranty. I have done some searching, but not sure I feel confident yet that I am finding these opportunities from reputable sellers. Are there any suggestions you have on how to best search for these deals? New would be best, but I am not opposed to used in top condition either.

- If I do end up going grey market, and in the unfortunate situation that the piece malfunctions – I would plan to pay and have it serviced by Omega before sending it back to the grey market retailer under their warranty. Is there a chance that Omega would not even service it even if I am paying for it based on me buying it from grey market? I seem to see mixed feedback on the internet on this topic and am not sure what the real answer is. Any help here would greatly be appreciated.

Other than the questions above, any other words of wisdom you may have for me in my journey would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone in advance for your time. Looking forward to your feedback.