Forums Latest Members

Buying my First Good Watch: Speedmaster Sapphire Sandwich - Opinions

1. FedFod Jun 18, 2019

Hi everybody,
    I'm turning 30 this year, and I want to get myself a good watch to celebrate this milestone
    (or maybe I just want the Speedy because I really crave it).

So, my choice went to the Speedmaster Professional reference 311.30.42.30.01.006, the Sapphire Sandwich.

I've seen this model live at the AD and I have to say I was almost getting emotional.
    What I especially like about the watch is the superb case back, and the overall finishing.
    I think you know what I mean.

So, I can buy it on Chrono24 for around 4000 euros, 1400 euros less than the AD, and with an official warranty card.

Before doing this crazy (for me it's a lot of money) purchase I wanted to ask you guys what do you think about the whole thing, and also about buying from Chrono24.
    The seller is trusted and has already more than 600 watches sold through trusted checkout.

Than please, I'm open to every thought about it.
    Thank you a lot!

Federico

2. ext1 Jun 18, 2019

Congratulations on your celebration! A speedy is well fit for any occasion :cool:

There are some threads on here about buying from C24, I think the general summary is that it's alright to buy from there but keep in mind it's only a platform.

Have you considered buying a 3592.50 or 3572.50 instead? Hesalite with display back... I prefer it over sapphire with display back. I think it's a better buy for the money, they are both discontinued so it's getting more desirable (especially the 3592).

As for hesalite vs sapphire.. it's been discussed to death here, so using the search function will help.

lando and FedFod like this.
  3. weimi1 Jun 18, 2019

I have already bought some Omega watches through Chrono24 and so far there have never been any problems. Trusted Checkout is recommended and minimizes the risk of purchase. Were do you come from?

FedFod likes this.
  4. FedFod Jun 18, 2019

Thank you guys for your answers! I'm Italian (born and raised in Rome), living in Berlin, Germany, at the moment.
    I actually also considered the models with the sapphire back and hesalite cristal, but the thing is that for my first nice watch I would like to buy new.
    That's a bit a thing of mine, but the idea of an unworn watch that will grow with me it's appealing to me.

Regarding the Sapphire vs Hesalite, I have to say that after seeing the watch in person the Sapphire doesn't bother me a bit, and I prefer to have the robustness of Sapphire on a watch that I will wear daily.
    Plus the case back makes it for me : )

Regarding the price, do you think it's a fair price?
    Thank you!

Keef Richards likes this.
  5. weimi1 Jun 18, 2019

The price is OK. Please send the link.
    You only need to enter new and unworn when searching. Then you would have your unworn. The cheapest from Europe is then at 4030 euros.

6. FedFod Jun 18, 2019

7. weimi1 Jun 18, 2019

8. ext1 Jun 18, 2019

FedFod likes this.
  9. mjb Jun 18, 2019

Happy birthday! I am one of the few (it seems) that prefer the sapphire, mostly for scratch resistance. And I like shiny.

When I bought my recent SMP, I tried to buy it through a gray market reseller, but for various reasons couldn't find the color and bracelet combination that I wanted before the price increase in May, so I bought it through the AD/OB. I spent more than I wanted to, but now there's no question about warranty. If the seller has good feedback and reputation, then you should be OK.

mikekchc and FedFod like this.
  10. FedFod Jun 18, 2019

Always glad to hear a praise for the Sapphire crystal MJb!
    Thanks to weimi1 for the find! With free shipping it becomes less than the other one.
    I'll write those guys and see what they can tell me. The other seller was offering also the original warranty signed from the AD

11. wiem0014 Jun 18, 2019

Congratulations on the celebration and the decision to purchase your first great watch! I may be in the minority here, but for your first watch I would recommend buying from a local AD or OB. I think you will really appreciate the experience (especially since it's your first), and establishing a relationship with a local shop can really pay dividends. Having that relationship helps with things like: strap changes, watch cleaning, tough to get pieces (limited editions and others) and just makes the overall experience of owning a moonwatch better.

I'd be curious what others think. but to me the experience and relationship are worth the additional money spent in the long run.

mikekchc, FedFod and Evitzee like this.
  12. Evitzee Jun 18, 2019

I, too, would recommend you go through an AD or OB for your first, and maybe only, nice watch. Saving money is nice but online buying for a newbie can be tricky. There are many solid sellers but also some sketchy ones. Going for a face-to-face, bricks and mortar sale can be a very positive experience and set you up for better service, straps or help in any issue that might come up in the future. Here's a tip: Buy the Speedmaster with bracelet and ask for a complimentary Omega deployant clasp and leather strap as part of the deal. I did this two years ago at the OB in Geneva, they were very happy to do this to get the sale done and I was able to choose the strap color from the selection they had. They also had their technician correctly size the bracelet for me (remove one link). Most ADs and OBs will do this as part of the negotiation, then you have the flexibility to wear the watch on bracelet or strap and you have saved some money in the long run.

Nothing wrong with the sapphire sandwich model, I think too much fuss is made of the 'milky ring' thing.

Edited Jun 18, 2019
    mikekchc, FedFod and wiem0014 like this.
  13. weimi1 Jun 18, 2019

I would have no problem with him to buy, the warranty card is there it`s a fullset and the price is good.
    For someone who does not regularly buy a watch I find the purchase on the gray market not uninteresting. For me, I buy my regular watches to be acquired only at the AD. Over the years, a relationship of trust has built up and the discounts are also very good. When you collect watches you do not get around the gray market necessarily. I can only hope that the watch manufacturers make it, that our watches are not immediately thrown at a discount of 30% or more on the market.
    So go for it.

FedFod likes this.
  14. FedFod Jun 18, 2019

15. weimi1 Jun 18, 2019

If you read the Comments : some People Write that they got their watches fron Hungary . (The seller in your first post)

FedFod likes this.
  16. FedFod Jun 18, 2019

Ah thanks didn't notice that!

17. FedFod Jul 5, 2019

It's done! Thank you all for the answers and the support in the decision.
    The watch looks great and it's in perfect conditions.
    Now I was wondering, is the first service covered by the warranty?
    Can I just send it to Omega directly in about 4 years or do I have to deal with an AD?
    Thank you again!

IMG_8010.JPG
    mikekchc, Dedalus05, BatDad and 2 others like this.
  18. MustWatch Jul 5, 2019

hey, FedFod, happy birthday! that watch is a beauty. you have great taste, buying this iconic timepiece as your first nice watch. wear it in good health!

FedFod likes this.
  19. 3nicewatches $100 well spent Jul 5, 2019

No, it’s a warranty not a service contract. It covers manufacturer deficiencies, not a regular service.

Nice watch!

FedFod likes this.
  20. FedFod Jul 5, 2019

Thank you kind sir!

Clear, thanks!