Forums Latest Members
  1. raulfragoso Mar 13, 2019

Hello everyone

I'm a fresh enthusiast for modern wristwatches (currently own a modern speedmaster) but I have been contemplating the idea of getting a nice vintage watch for some time now, and since the design of the pie-pan has always attracted me, I have decided that this is the watch that I want.

During the last few days I have done some research and checking some listings in my country (I'm based in Brazil), reading some of the the extremely useful information here on Omega Forums and carefully choosing my options and crosschecking with the info I find here.

I have come to the following offer, which is listed in a popular auction-style website in my country, and it's listed for about US$ 1,100.00 The seller's ad describes the watch as being very close to the original, with no replacement parts except for the strap. The seller has also been nice explaining about the specific parts to look for when comparing a "good watch" like his watch to other listings, but that's expected :)

Now my questions:

1. Is this watch really true (or close) to the original parts as described? While a modified watch would not be a showstopper, it would be nice to know exactly what I'm buying.

2. Is the asked price fair enough for the condition of the watch? If not, what you guys would consider to be fair?

I would really appreciate some input since I'm not confident enough to make a decision.

Thank you in advance!

connie-1.jpg connie-7.jpg connie-6.jpg connie-5.jpg connie-4.jpg connie-3.jpg connie-2.jpg
    Edited Mar 13, 2019
  2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Mar 13, 2019

Heavily worn/polished case, movement is in poor condition, dial not particularly nice.

I would not consider this a good buy.

3. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Mar 13, 2019

Welcome @raulfragoso
    You did right to ask here first.
    All as @X350 XJR said.
    The parts look original but I’d hate to see what the dealer thinks is a ‘not nice’ watch.
    It’s a pity because rose gold (cap) doglegs don’t appear all that often.
    The dial looks okay at first glance but the painted inserts are degraded and even missing in some instances.
    The case is heavily polished and that movement is in a poor state which suggests moisture intrusion.
    Save your money and bide your time for a better version.

raulfragoso and omegaswisst like this.
  4. omegaswisst Mar 13, 2019

Hi @raulfragoso

For comparison the lugs should look like this.

20190313_194816.jpg

raulfragoso and Peemacgee like this.
  5. wouter van wijk Mar 13, 2019

i would get a stainless steel one. a bit more expensive. but better value for money on the long run.

raulfragoso and KingCrouchy like this.
  6. connieseamaster Mar 13, 2019

Well, at least whoever polished the case had the good sense to mask off the medallion. I don't think I'd spend more than $700 or so on this watch, including a full service. It's not a collector grade piece by any means, but it's in nice enough cosmetic condition for wearing around.

raulfragoso likes this.
  7. raulfragoso Mar 13, 2019

Thanks everyone for the invaluable input! I was ready to take the plunge, but I'm glad I've asked here first. I will keep looking for my watch elsewhere. Thank you so much again!

8. Theluglife Mar 13, 2019

shouldn't there be a chamfer on inferior half of the outsides of the dog leg lugs? Heavily polished till its no longer clearly visible on photos.

9. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Mar 13, 2019

If you are talking about the chamfer on the lower half of the lugs , this doesn’t appear on gold cap versions of the dogleg.

Noddyman, raulfragoso and KingCrouchy like this.
  10. KingCrouchy Mar 13, 2019

rickyneo, ahartfie and raulfragoso like this.
  11. Noddyman Mar 13, 2019

Everyday’s a school day!
    Never noticed that before and I don’t own a capped model to compare. It makes sense when I think about it, no point making it overly difficult to apply the gold capping.

raulfragoso likes this.
  12. raulfragoso Mar 13, 2019

Thank you guys for all the info and reference, I'm reading Desmond's blog and learning a lot.

X350 XJR likes this.
  13. TexOmega Mar 13, 2019

Welcome

raulfragoso likes this.