Forums Latest Members
  1. johnnylarue Mar 11, 2017

Hi folks,

I've decided to take an imminent tax return and turn it into a nice watch rather than letting it fester with the rest of my savings at 0.000001% interest. I figure a nice, carefully chosen vintage Omega will at least hold its value, while actually giving me some tangible sense of enjoyment that I just can't get from an abstract retirement fund. ;)

For the record, I've been wearing a '59 Seamaster for the past 5 or 6 years. It's a handsome piece, set me back about $325, and has performed very well but, but "Mad Men" ended a long time ago and I'm ready for a change.

Anyway, I've looked at about 10,000 different watches over the past several weeks, and have narrowed my search down to a few models that I believe I should be able to find in the ballpark of $1500, given some patience/luck:

- The original black-dialled Speedmaster Mark II (ref. 145.014)

- The grey/blue dialled Seamaster "flat Jedi" (ref. 176.024)

- The blue or silver dialled Seamaster "fat Jedi", TV case edition (ref. 176.005)

(Honourable mention would go to a nice Seiko 6105-8110 diver, though I have somewhat irrational reservations about dropping $1000+ on a watch with an original mid-70s sticker price of $100...)

All of these strike me as very wearable "statement watches". Fun, 1970s gadget-y, but still classy enough to wear with just about anything.

So my question to you, dear cognoscenti, is: can I go wrong with any of these? I'm aware of pitfalls (i.e. fakes, polished cases and aftermarket dials, etc.) but am more concerned with, for example, the notion of the watch-buying world getting completely sick of Speedmasters due to the great Speedmaster Flood of the past several years.

Thoughts, advice, gratuitous insults: I wanna hear 'em! Thanks in advance.

Spruce and GuiltyBoomerang like this.
  2. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Mar 11, 2017

I like the Mark II.

Consider a 145.006 or 145.016? Radial panda dial. There's a few with a different reference that have a 321 inside, I just can't find it right now.

Pretty nice lookin'..

Screenshot_20170311-232446.png
    (Not the greatest example, but illustrative)

Davidt and Apollo13 like this.
  3. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Mar 11, 2017

This one. I like it better, but can't find the reference.

Untitled1.png

Dan S, marco, Jwit and 6 others like this.
  4. Noles_88 Dog costume designer extraordinaire! Mar 11, 2017

145.005 67 if not mistaken. @oddboy

oddboy likes this.
  5. meganfox17 Mar 11, 2017

I believe @oddboy is right . Of course He is !!! The greatest investment you can make right now is to consider a Lemania based SM Chrono Ref 145.0xxx which in my opinion is The 0ne True Jedi Master [emoji363] [emoji134]

Have you guys seen Ref 176.007 all original Chrono in plated 18 K YG with matching bracelets ?
    I coined the term " Fat Boy Jabba with Princess Leia 's Gold bikini on TV [emoji1] " 2017-03-12%2012.55.27.png 2017-03-12%2012.56.31.png 2017-03-12%2012.56.02.png It's on sale in the local ebay market & for US1450 , it's a steal

6. johnnylarue Mar 12, 2017

Oh yes. Yes, please. I'd only seen the plain-dialed 'normcore' members of that family. That zany panda dial looks really cool on those fancy dress lugs. Throwing it on the list.

And thx megan: I've always liked those gold-plated TV false-Jedis, insofar as they're a well-realized design and successfully transcend their own gawdiness. The problem is I feel like I'd need to incorporate polyester slacks and a really brutal combover into my look to pull one off.

oddboy likes this.
  7. johnnylarue Mar 12, 2017

Or maybe a bit out of my league, it turns out (ouch):

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Omega...%3Ac12e88dc15a0a5eb22052a92fff94d12%7Ciid%3A2Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

8. cvrle1 Mar 12, 2017

Only thing I will add is, dont buy watches as investment. More often than not you will not make money from this, at least from the watches in the price range you are looking at.

Also, 2 models that you have listed as "jedi" are in fact not jedi models. People call them Jedi by mistake. True Jedi's are 145.023 (2 different dials) and 145.024 :)
    http://omega-constellation-collecto.../real-omega-seamaster-145025-jedi-please.html

A lot of sellers use "jedi" for wrong watches, and people end up paying more than they should. Dont be one of them.

Out of the 3 that you have listed, i would definitely go with 145.014, but with racing dial

[​IMG]

Whsjr415, M.C.B1974, Jwit and 9 others like this.
  9. johnnylarue Mar 12, 2017

Thanks, cvrle1. The investment angle is a really just a playful rationalization--although some of the watches I've been looking at (the Seiko 6015, for instance) seem to have almost doubled in value over the past 10 years, so I think people do get lucky when the global economy allows... More likely though, this is a way of being able to "enjoy" my savings a bit, knowing that I can cash in a good vintage watch and generally at least get my money back (so long I didn't pay "BIN $5750" for a "Cool Vintage Timex from 2007").

And I totally should have known better than to use the language of the unwashed masses to describe the TV case non-Jedis on an Omega forum. I thought people had decided to just go with the wrong names now, but I'll gladly join the crusade to use the nicknames as Chuck intended.

10. onthedial Mar 12, 2017

@ johnnylarue
    I like where you're going with the 70s vibe, it's a nice counter to your late 50s Seamaster. Another cool, not-widely-seen-in-the-wild-watch is the Omega Seamaster Chronostop 145.008 Cal. 865. The Chronostop is a quality timepiece and will, I believe, appreciate in value in the coming years.

11. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Mar 12, 2017

I really like those too, but can any be found for the OP's budget of 1500 USD?

12. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Mar 12, 2017

That is pure gold :)

meganfox17 likes this.
  13. bokbok Mar 12, 2017

Me I would go for the 145.014 with the racing dial [emoji1]

amcclell likes this.
  14. johnnylarue Mar 12, 2017

Thanks, OD. Yeah, the early-70s thing has been a fixture for me for as long as I can remember. Pretty much my favourite era for Omega designs in particular. I've had my eye on a few Chronostops. I'm a sucker for red/orange second or chrono hands, and a couple of watches from that line really sell it. I'm not sold on the lack of an designated second hand, though, and prices do seem to be creeping up.

Can't help but feel like this is going to get complicated... :(

onthedial likes this.
  15. NeedForSpeed Mar 13, 2017

Does anyone have any recommendations from an investment perspective (I know you say it's not a good way to make money but as Johnny said it's just my way of rationalizing playing with my savings!) of more classic 50s/60s models rather than gadgety looking 70s ones? I'm really loving the vintage Seamaster chronographs right now, would love a stainless steel one!

16. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Mar 13, 2017

One just sold for around $4200, and not that nice in my opinion.

IMG_1155.PNG

Luckily I picked this one up before the 321 craze!

IMG_1142.JPG

Edited Mar 13, 2017
    BenBagbag, Mods, Ko1892 and 9 others like this.
  17. cvrle1 Mar 13, 2017

From Omega side, vintage Speedmasters. Pre moon ones (104.022-69 and older models) have taken off last few years price wise. The older the model, the crazier the price has become. Not sure about other brands, so someone else can let you know that part.

18. ConElPueblo Mar 13, 2017

Give me your money, and I'll invest them in watches for you.

I'll take a 20% cut for myself, naturally, but that is what brokers do - and you are asking for financial advice, aren't you?

Jwit, johnnylarue and Syrte like this.
  19. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Mar 13, 2017

Gee, how many people in the dibs line? (I suppose it's a keeper anyway....)

20. johnnylarue Mar 13, 2017

As is often the case, I get the distinct impression I'm late to the party. Prices and/or perceived values seem to have surged in the wake of the lovingly derided "New Antiquarian" movement, and many sellers seem to subscribe to the philosophy that their badly refurbished "gems" are worth whatever the children of Exxon's CEO are willing to pay for them. Like housing in major urban centres, or vintage synths, you're kind of screwed if you didn't get in on the ground floor and stockpile some assets when it was still possible to do so.

Sorry--that's probably just my whiny, underslept brain crying for a nap.

In all seriousness, though, I've been hedging towards a Seiko 6105 for the following reasons:

- lower cost of entry
    - tied to an iconic, trend-proof cinematic masterpiece
    - they look great when they're a little beat up. an original clean dial, lume, and hands are really all you need to establish desirability.
    - some OEM parts are still pretty cheap
    - servicing by trained Seiko dudes is about 1/3 the cost of servicing by trained Omega dudes
    - and obviously, a truly badass design. big without a hint of garishness.

My gut tells me there's still room for their value to rise, especially as the supply of well-preserved samples starts to dry up for good. A vintage cal. 861 Speedmaster is currency, no doubt. The Jedi has a more specific collector appeal. But if I had to pick one of the three to win the ROE sweepstakes, I'd have to go with the cheapest one at this point.

Unfortunately, I'd much rather have all three... :p

Thomas P. likes this.