Forums Latest Members
  1. LowCountry Jan 30, 2016

i am going to be in Barbados next month. I have always heard discounts prices can be found there on watches. Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks!

meganfox17 likes this.
  2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 30, 2016

That is probably true.

However, when you take potential customs and use tax charges incurred upon entry into the US, that could erode much of the savings.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

3. LowCountry Jan 31, 2016

Thanks Gator!

meganfox17 likes this.
  4. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 31, 2016

I made regular trips to the Bahamas and returned in to the USA with several watches in hand and never had an issue.

Not sure if it applies to Barbados but the Bahamas have just imposed a VAT levy on ALL luxury items, it is claimed back in the airport I'm told.

meganfox17 likes this.
  5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 31, 2016

Try not to get murdered, I've been watching "Death In Paradise" and it paints a rather bleak picture of life in the Caribbean, more serial killers than any place on earth it seems. :coffee:

Even the star of the show got murdered, presumably for asking the BBC for more money.

meganfox17 likes this.
  6. chunkythebulldog Jan 31, 2016

Surely it can't be as dangerous as living in Midsomer?

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 31, 2016

The Bahamas is thinking about doing away with VAT in tourist areas.

Barbados and the Bahamas are two totally separate countries. They both have VAT.

http://businessbarbados.com/investor-guide/taxation/value-added-tax/

You should call one of the shops there in advance of your trip and ask if VAT can be reclaimed at the airport. Some places may allow VAT to refunded at point of purchase upon presentation of an outbound ticket and passport.

The Carribean countries are no different than anywhere else in the developing world. There are tourist oriented areas where there is a dense police presence.

Travel off this beaten path and you are at risk.
    gatorcpa

meganfox17 and mozartman like this.
  8. flyingout Jan 31, 2016

And above average looking Detective Sergeants.

9. meganfox17 Feb 7, 2016

Guys...Do You have any friends in Malaysia ? The island of Penang & Kuala Lumpur are Shopping Paradises are stuff of dreams for foreign tourists & the luxury watches are a Real Bargain ! Check this out if You plan to purchase an Omega from an AD Omega Boutique based on the latest currency exchange rate after Good & Service Tax 6%.
    No Immigration officer is going to ask You about your Shopping Loot because of a Govt Policy on Visit Malaysia Year
    ● Seamaster 600 co Axial 45.5 PO liquid metal titanium
    ~USD 5800 +
    ● Seamaster 300 Master coAxial ~USD 4761+
    ● Cheapest GlobeMaster Master Chronometer ~USD 5560 +
    ● Cheapest Speedmaster Moonwatch DSoTM ~USD 8743+

Now can anyone tell me the estimated prices in Barbados ?