Forums Latest Members

Buying from trusted sellers

1. NS120780 Aug 14, 2018

Hi all, I’m totally new to the forumn so please excuse me if this question has been asked. I’m very interested in buying a speedmaster DSOTM in the coming months. From having read posts on the site it sounds like trusted sellers are the way to go. The skeptic in me can’t help but ask how trusted sellers are able to provide grey market pricing with a warranty card to. If anybody can help give me some insight I’d really appreciate it.

On a side note I’m having trouble deciding between a DSOTM , new speed master racing on leather strap and the planet ocean deep black. I’d love to hear forums members thoughts on which they would choose and the pros cons.

Thanks!

2. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Aug 14, 2018

Here is my understanding: For new watches, they typically buy from ADs they know who sell to them a little above wholesale. They have to build those relationships, which takes time. But the relationship is beneficial to the ADs, as it helps them move inventory with while expending little effort. So the ADs can maintain a good volume and keep getting more watches from the manufacturers, and not get stouck with a pile of unsold merchandise.

Trusted Sellers also seek out and buy used watches and offer them for resale, and they can hunt down specific models for you (new or used) as well.

3. NS120780 Aug 14, 2018

Thanks for your reply. Why wouldn’t an AD offer customers the same price as the trusted dealer.
    Presumably if the trusted seller can profit at that price the AD could as well? Is it possible to get similar offers from an AD?

4. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Aug 14, 2018

I think an AD sets a bad precedent selling that low to the public, and they may get in trouble from the manufacturers. Plus they need to move inventory without spending a lot of time doing it. Trusted Sellers make it all more efficient; they can spend more time with individual buyers then the AD wants to at those low margins. And Trusted Sellers do not typically publicize the ADs who sell them the watches at the lower prices. The ADs and Trusted Sellers watch out for each other (no pun intended).