Forums Latest Members

Buying First Speedmaster Professional

1. tsmithmangum Feb 3, 2017

Good evening. I'm looking for a little help and maybe that's because I've read too much. I had a fine 2016 and an even better 2017 as I'm expecting my first boy on 7/4. I thought it would be great to buy him a present to wear 18 years down the road! Jokes aside, I've had my eye on the Speedy Pro for about a year now and ready to pull the trigger, but the AD or boutique / Jomashop / or Kringkily method of procuring is killing me.

I never intended to buy from an Omega Boutique, but I went in to one tonight to just test drive one and asked about retail and it was roughly ~$5300. I told him I have a tough time spending that when I can buy brand new from Joma or Kringkily for $2000 less. I've read a thousand times over on forums that Omega shops do not offer discounts, but he immediately said let me make a few calls when you're ready to buy and I'll sharpen my pencil. That surprised me greatly and threw me for a loop. What even threw me for a bigger loop was when my wife agreed with the 2 year warranty that could not be offered via grey market as the way to go.

I've only purchased one watch off of Joma and it was an inexpensive Movado for my father in law. He loves it, shipped quickly, but was only $200, not $3,275 which is the going rate of a Speedy Pro today on their site. Has anyone purchased one from Joma, would you suggest that a better route over Kringkily or Omega boutique?

On to option 3 - Kringkily. Seems as legit as it gets, I've read reviews and the one poor review that seemed to be BS from a couple of years ago. Can anyone share an experience?

I'm just trying to do my homework before I pull the trigger on my forever watch. As this is my first post in a thread, I'd hope you guys, or gals, take it easy on me!

Thanks.

pghickster likes this.
  2. Hkolka Feb 3, 2017

Ive recently bought a sapphire sandwich Speedy from Joma, but thats just because I didnt know about the forums/horology community then. I simply liked the watch/wanted my first real watch. Ive had a pleasant experience, paid the $3,700, had the watch two days later. Its been flawless for the few months that I've had it. Id suggest going with someone from the forumn/Ad, just because of the developed connection/friendship. You don't really gain anything from purchasing from a giant website, other than a few bucks saved. Im looking for a sea master next, perhaps for graduation. Ill definitely be getting one from someone on here versus Joma.

semper_shells likes this.
  3. Hkolka Feb 3, 2017

These are just my two cents. Since I am brand new to this, take it with a grain of salt.

4. marcn Enough space to say witty Feb 3, 2017

Congratulations! Very similar story here. It's our third boy, due early May, and I bought my speedy pro (I'm just borrowing it from him, mind you ;) ) in December 2016 but delayed wearing it until Jan 1st since I really wanted it to be all linked up with all that birth year goodness. Well, that makes sense in my head!

It's hard to explain just how much I love this watch, and I'm sure you'll love yours too.

I bought from Jomashop and you can have a look at my brief review here: https://omegaforums.net/threads/jomashop-reputable-seller.35553/page-2#post-610616 The watch is doing great, but opening the box and finding things all cockeyed, it really made my heart sink.

All said, I don't think I would buy again from Jomashop. Knowing what I know now of @Kringkily (and a few others) I would, absolutely, buy from him and enjoy the peace of mind of the warranty for what amounts to a not that much above Jomashop.

Good luck and keep us posted!

5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 3, 2017

An AD might deal more then an OB which never offers anything meaningful. But what others have already said is true about the other greymarket sources.

6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 3, 2017

@Kringkily all the way is my recommendation. Read the swag of reviews.

Jammer005, Kanokus, Archer and 5 others like this.
  7. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Feb 4, 2017

Agree with everything said about George but I must point out that there are others that sell on the Forum who also have stellar reputations.

8. tsmithmangum Feb 4, 2017

Thanks everyone for your info and advice. I sent @Kringkily and message, but who are the other reputable dealers on this forum?

9. tsmithmangum Feb 4, 2017

Also has anyone looked at @LunarOyster or purchased from lunaroyster.com? Has some good prices for pre-owned pieces, but I think I'd rather buy brand new.

10. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Feb 4, 2017

11. repoman Feb 4, 2017

OB'S are offering 8-10% discounts as a matter of policy now...it's been a tough year for luxury retail.

12. Uniqez Feb 4, 2017

Bought my from @WatchVaultNYC and really happy with the purchase. Jerome is doing good as the seller.

jedical likes this.
  13. Dmazzle Feb 5, 2017

Have bought from Kringkily in the past and currently working on a second deal. Do not hesitate to work with him.

tsmithmangum and MikiJ like this.
  14. tsmithmangum Feb 5, 2017

@Dmazzle thanks for your input as well as everyone else's - also in the process of working out a deal with @Kringkily - will keep you all posted and post pics

marcn likes this.
  15. lillatroll Feb 6, 2017

I bought a watch from Lunaroyster. He used to sell on this forum but has been banned as I understand it. The watch he sold me was described as full working which it definitely was not. To cut a long story short he offered a full refund a solution I was not wanting to accept as I really wanted to keep the watch. He was not willing to offer a discount, which was what I wanted. I am totally fine with our disagreement over the resolution of my purchase but I have heard from from other sources that he is not always totally honest with the watches he sells. The bottom line is that he will not be getting any more business from me no matter how much I might want one of his watches.

16. tsmithmangum Feb 6, 2017

@lillatroll this is precisely the reason why these forums are so helpful. He has a 2009 Speedy Pro listed on his site at $2550. It was close enough to make me think, well this is a great price and $1200 cheaper than the other option I was considering. After reading through the responses, I'm going with Kringkily.

17. lillatroll Feb 6, 2017

Mine is only one experience, I am sure he has many happy customers, my main gripe is that if you sell on this forum, members are probably more trusting of you as a seller, so you need to be 100% upfront about what you are selling, if not then I feel the seller is abusing the trust of the community. As said, it is only one persons opinion, however, I choose to spend my money elsewhere.

18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 6, 2017

I can assure you that you are not the only one to have this exact experience...I have another like you describe in my shop right now.

tsmithmangum and lillatroll like this.
  19. Mark5 Feb 6, 2017

Yeah... forever watch... I bet that's what most of us said when we bought our first Speedy.

By the way, I'm afraid I cannot help you to make your decision.
    All I can say is that I never bought a brand new Speedmaster, only used ones, and I'm quite happy with this choice.

20. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Feb 7, 2017

My forever watch...first of many Speedmasters. First Omega. Almost 5 years ago. Also birth year of youngest son.

Historically I have sold almost 50% of watches I have purchased. I have yet to sell any of the speedies.

:)

IMG_20170131_075434.jpg

Shibata, Foo2rama and marcn like this.