Forums Latest Members

Buying first Omega in Sydney, some advice please?

1. yamaarashi Mar 22, 2016

Hi All!

Well, after receiving a sizeable bonus this year, I'm finally looking to buy the watch I've lusted after for a long time - a seamaster 300m diver. Now the question is, what should I be paying? I can do $3500, stretching to $3750 if I really have to, is this doable with ADs or am I in dreamland? I'm also willing to go grey market so long as I can see what I'm buying first (I'm hitting up Costco this weekend in the hopes of getting lucky).

Can you guys offer any advice to a newbie?

2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 22, 2016

3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 22, 2016

True, his prices may be a bit higher than eBay stuff, but his stuff is authentic, good quality, and has a warranty if not as disclosed.

I got my Railmaster from him, totally happy.

4. Huus Mar 22, 2016

5. yamaarashi Mar 22, 2016

Thanks guys, he's got a couple of what I'm after (the newer model with the clear, non wave dial) and if I can't find something close to the price I'm after will definitely pay him a visit. I've heard good things about Swiss Concept in Pitt St and will probably head in there just to have a look in person and try them on. What sort of discounts are Aussie ADs offering these days? I read there was a big crackdown on them, but this was way back in 2009 and I haven't seen anything since then regarding how the Aus market is.

6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 22, 2016

One point, he's not the haggling type

7. dx009 Mar 22, 2016

An AD that doesn't haggle ? ::screwloose:: I mean, he doesn't have to drop the price by 50%, just make the customer feel like he's getting a bargain.

8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 22, 2016

Did you open the link before posting that comment ?

9. dx009 Mar 22, 2016

I have now, still not getting it...

10. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 22, 2016

He's a dealer that has no time for discounts, you don't want it go somewhere else to get it. Quiet a character but honest dealer.... Member here years ago

11. dx009 Mar 22, 2016

Ah I get what you're trying to say now. So he's a big-time/popular AD. When you're like that, you no longer need to haggle.

12. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 22, 2016

No
    He's a used watch buyer /dealer that is not a AD. He sets a price and that's the price. Is appointment only and he does not haggle. You want it you buy it, you don't like the price go elsewhere type of guy....

He has a blog and has given back a fair bit to the watch community but has seen it all over the years and can be quiet a shock if your not used to he's style of business...

Have dealt with him and would again but wouldn't waste my time and he's trying to get a discount

13. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 22, 2016

He's not an AD on Omega's list of approved sellers.

He's an independent watch dealer with limits on his tolerance of people asking for the cheapest price.

If you see what you like buy it. Or walk.

14. Pvt-Public Mar 22, 2016

noooo......... Don't buy a watch down under, it will run backwards. ::stirthepot:::D

OMGRLX likes this.
  15. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 22, 2016

Not if you wear it upside down :thumbsup:

OMGRLX likes this.
  16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 22, 2016

I thought he was no longer dealing in anything Swatch related after they cut off parts?

17. Jminchoi Mar 22, 2016

Well ultimately it is your money, so you control any deal at this point. Take it slow and get what you want at the price you want.

18. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 22, 2016

Doesn't service anymore @Archer just sells used and is making he's own watch....

http://www.rebelde.com.au/

19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 22, 2016

Thanks. I guess I was mistaken but I was sure I read in one of his rants that he was getting rid of anything Swatch and would not touch them anymore but maybe that was his personal watches and the business is a different animal.

So if he no longer services anything Swatch, then who will service the watches he makes? He calls it a Unitas movement but my guess is it's an ETA version, and not an actual Unitas.

Also, I guess all the Swatch products he sells are unserviced? So if there is a warranty repair does he send them to Swatch? Might be relevant info to the OP if he decides to buy from him.

Cheers, Al

OMGRLX likes this.
  20. Baxter8 Mar 24, 2016

Has anyone dealt with Vintage Watch Company in Aus? They have a store in Sydney and maybe a couple other cities as well as the online site. Just wondering what anyone's impressions were on price and reliability
    Cheers, B