Forums Latest Members

Buying and selling etiquette on this site

1. rkman11 Jun 2, 2018

Hi all members,

As I’m relatively new to this site (buying and selling for years on other sites) interested in hearing what the general consensus here is:

Sellers:
    -How long do you expect a buyer to take, once you’ve agreed on a deal and sent payment instructions, to actually send payment?

-How long do you feel a buyer should take to respond to messages while working on a sale?

Buyers:
    -How long do you think a seller should take to send payment instructions after a deal is made?

-How long do you think a seller should take to send the watch after you’ve sent payment?

-Same question on communication.

Thanks all! And please feel free to add questions for both buyers and sellers I may have missed. Think this could be a great resource to get everyone’s expectations on the same page.

2. GuiltyBoomerang Jun 2, 2018

For me, it would depend on what the buyer has requested. If they promise funds within a few days and it's received, then that's all good.

As it's a global community, that also depends. I've contacted people in the UK, Europe, Asia, and the US and it's usually anywhere between a few minutes (if they're active) to a day or so (if on a trip or sleeping etc.) If I haven't received any messages without prior notice within a couple of days I would send a reminder. Sometimes people forget!

If they're answering straight away, then straight away! Some patience is required though, so up to a day if needed (again, accounting to timezones.)

When they say they will send it to within the next couple of business days.

Anytime there's an update, then I'd expect a message.

3. IDXM Jun 2, 2018

I’ve had two great sellers who answered questions extremely quickly. However, that would not be my expectation, especially in the Private Watch Sales Forum. These are hobbiest with lives and I adjust my expectations accordingly. Ditto on the buyer side. If things were to take too long, I’d just move on. Too many watches, too little money, at least on my case.

4. lillatroll Jun 2, 2018

I have never sold anything but bought a few watches. I am pretty relaxed about the whole thing; this is in part due to the fact that I generally speaking, only buy from established members, so I have a sense of who I am dealing with.
    I explain how I would like to pay and when the likelihood of that payment will arrive.
    I am not bothered when they send the watch as I do not live in the country where my watches get sent, so as long as it is before I get home then it's fine by me. (usually once every 12 months)
    The key to a successful transaction is communication. If both sides let each other know what is going on then everyone should be happy.

5. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jun 3, 2018

Because there is no automatic buy/ sell button all of your questions are normally covered throughout the pm back and forth between buyers and sellers.

Someone likes the watch I’m selling, they contact me... where are you located.... Abu Dabi.... sorry I’ll be on vacation until Monday will ship/ pay then.... can you expedite I wanted to wear it to see Avengers this Friday.... sure.... hey! Payment didn’t go through yet.... ok let me check on my end.... etc etc

By the time the watch is shipped half of the time I’ve made a friend... or at least an acquaintance.

Edited Jun 3, 2018
    IDXM, Kmart, George.A and 7 others like this.
  6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 3, 2018

Depends really as time zones and people have lives outside here.

And @Nobel Prize above nailed it, casual.

rkman11 and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  7. rkman11 Jun 3, 2018

Well put, thanks!

8. rkman11 Jun 3, 2018

Great to hear and completely agree - after all, we’re all a little crazy to be this passionate about watches so we should bond over that at least!

9. rkman11 Jun 5, 2018

Agree - should be casual and easy on both sides. Communication being the key.