Forums Latest Members

Buying an omega is scary for a noob with a bit of knowledge

1. mexi-jew Nov 20, 2018

ive been lurking here, watching ebay auctions over the past year.

Seems like there’s a lot of ways to overpay esp. in a hot market.

I ended up buying an old serviced 14k gold plated watch with nice patina and striking baton markers and a case that looks like real gold...from a local guy for 100$ with service...but not an omega....from a distance it kinda looks like a sea master.

Still want an old constellation. Just trepidation’s to pull the trigger for a couple grand and overpay by half.

image.jpg
  2. Willem023 Nov 20, 2018

Welcome! Nice watch, from the looks of it.

Next thing: do have a look at the Sales part of OF. Lots and lots of reasonable, if not cheap watches, sold by trusted sellers (i.e. OF members).

Sometimes, life is simple....;)

3. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it Nov 20, 2018

Nice waffle dial on that Wittnauer.

superfly likes this.
  4. Om3ga321 Nov 20, 2018

Practice will make you perfect.We have all overpaid for a watch , just avoid overpaying too many times.
    It's very nerve racking at the start.
    Hang in there it gets easy , real easy.

superfly and airansun like this.
  5. Vitezi Nov 20, 2018

Most of my collection could be described this way, so don't worry, not everyone here has a vintage Omega in solid gold. :eek: Vintage watches are just a hobby, and like any hobby, it's a mix between what you like and can afford. But if you fancy a vintage Constellation, take some time to absorb this site...http://omega-constellation-collectors.blogspot.com/ ...and keep an eye on the Private Sales Forum. Connies pop up there all the time.
    And welcome to the forum!

superfly and mexi-jew like this.
  6. blunosr Nov 20, 2018

6A2881D5-D1DA-4347-A729-DB839121B104.jpeg Those are nice watches
    Mine says hello.

omegasaso12, superfly and mexi-jew like this.
  7. thenameisnando Nov 20, 2018

You can certainly get a nice vintage connie for much less than a couple grand also. Like others have said, the private sales section is a good place to start. You would not be alone in overpaying, I’ve definitely done it haha

superfly likes this.
  8. Dan S Nov 20, 2018

Be patient and don't overpay. Especially now.

9. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Nov 20, 2018

Welcome to the vintage watch club!

Cool vintage watches don't have to be expensive to be fun; check this out if you haven't already.

10. mexi-jew Nov 20, 2018

ive paid too much for large modern watches. then i realized i have a small wrist and a 33 to 34 mm old watch looks proportional and reasonable on it, where 42mm looks...dumb.

I can actually see the leather strap on the front with 34mm

also, im getting older, but still working, in a suit most days, needing to have people trust me, and theres something soothing in my mind about an old gold watch. kind of stable and,tradotional.
    But slightly different too.

nowadays, i can actually afford a pricier watch, but overpaying would definitely ruin it for me, because id feel like a sucker every time i checked my watch.

im frankly not sure,why im much more attracted to omega, v. say zenith or eterna or girard perregaux. comparable watches seem way cheaper in those other brands.

basically, i think i really dig the omega font. ☺. i also like the font on my old wittnauer tho. but not as much

Edited Nov 20, 2018
  11. ConElPueblo Nov 21, 2018

Great looking Wittnauer! Welcome aboard :thumbsup:

12. mexi-jew Nov 21, 2018

You guys are friendly!

13. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 21, 2018

Yep, that's what they're known for :D

14. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Nov 21, 2018

Oddly enough, if you like gold watches, gold cap Connies are less expensive than their SS cousins and they come in many variations, some cost less than others.

If you like dome dials and gold cap, you’re hitting the sweet spot for a good value Connie and you could be paying half of your ‘two grand’ for a really nice watch dependent on the reference.

Research as much as you can and try to spot them at auction - you can always post any potential targets here first for a critique.