Buying an Aqua Terra 2500 36.2 mm

Hi everyone! I'm seriously considering to buy one of the first series Aqua Terra and I’d like to ask for some advice if you don’t mind on how to make an informed decision.

I zeroed in on two watches in very good conditions with a nice black dial (which would my preference) from a dealer that has good reviews. Both feature 2500 movements.

The first watch is from 2004 and comes with box and papers (from Japan as it’s often the case with these models). One thing I noticed is that this watch has the red “seal” on the back but I’m not sure what that means.

The second watch doesn't have any seal and it lacks box and papers (it's presumed to be from 2005-6 based on the serial number).

Here my questions:
- Would the absence of the seal be an issue?
- Does anyone have an idea of what would be a fair price?

Online, I've seen prices ranging from 2k euros for quite worn watches in Japan to 4/5k euros asked in Europe or the USA. The dealer is asking 3.1k euros for watch 2 and 250 more for the other one.

Thanks in advance for any help!

I’m including a couple of pictures as well :)

That model (different dial color) was my first modern Omega—excellent watch that can be a one-and-only. Looks great with a suit; works just as well with casual clothes or at the pool. And 36mm is a great size for those who don’t have giant wrists.

The box isn’t of much use and the papers don’t matter for a watch that’s out of warranty anyway—I wouldn’t worry about having those and certainly wouldn’t pay more to have them. (This isn’t a collector’s piece like a vintage Speedmaster: this is a mass produced modern Swatch Omega.) Pick the watch that’s in better condition or a lower price.

I suppose the seal would indicate that the case hasn’t been opened, but that’s not necessarily a good thing if it means it’s a 20 year old watch that’s never seen a service…

And 4k euros? For a 36mm Aqua Terra from the early 2000s? What am I missing here? It’s a watch that should cost 1600 euros at the very most, I’d say. For one that’s in top condition with a recent service I could see maybe going to 2000, but anything above that is robbery. It’s just not worth that much.

It’s a watch that should cost 1600 euros at the very most, I’d say. For one that’s in top condition with a recent service I could see maybe going to 2000, but anything above that is robbery. It’s just not worth that much.

Maybe it depends on what market you're in, but prices on these have been higher than that for quite some time in Europe. You might get a quartz version for 1600 but any decent condition automatic is going to start at 2k minimum and more likely higher.

The latest gen Seamaster ceramic divers are trading preowned for less than 3500. This 20 year old 2500-series AT makes no sense at such prices.

The latest gen Seamaster ceramic divers are trading preowned for less than 3500. This 20 year old 2500-series AT makes no sense at such prices.

I dunno how much sense it makes, but $1600 would be a good price for the quartz version based on current listings. As for the 2504.50, eBay's sold items shows one early this week at $2,776.30 and another in December at less than $2500. Watchcharts says private forum sales are now around $2800 and that's down quite a bit in the past week or so.

Screen-NHTDHtry.png

4000 € is definitely too much, but 1600 € would seem to be a steal.

Like 1

Can't say I necessarily disagree. I guess this particular model is slightly niche at 36mm and slimmer and lighter than the later gen ATs. Plus glossy black dial. So it may depend on what value you'd place on those things.

I mean it’s an awesome watch as far as it goes. But at that price, you’re just a hair away from another entire tier of Omega watchmaking. Or some pretty persuasive preowned models from Rolex and other brands that might get me reconsidering. Or even preowned ATs of a newer vintage. It just doesn’t add up. To me. To each his own, obviously.

I agree. I wouldn’t pay 3000 euros for this, or anywhere near it. I can’t believe they’re going for 4-5k euros either, even for NOS!

Thanks everyone for the inputs here! Yeah the price is 3100€-3300€ for the two models I described in the opening post. The only cheaper listings I have seen were in Japan on which a ~30% extra VAT+custom fees would need to be applied in my case.

I also think it’s a little expensive for the type of watch, but it seems this specific reference is not so easy to come by. The alternative I have would be waiting to go to Japan later this year and pick one up in person there :)