Forums Latest Members

Buying Advice: Seller reputation? About to pull the trigger on a refurbished 1959 Seamaster...

1. dlukask Jul 3, 2014

I've been looking for one of these styled 1959 Seamasters with these markers and a silver "sunburst" style dial. This is a really clean example.

I'm pretty sure the dial has been refinished, but it looks pretty good to me otherwise. The seller (Omega Addict) claims to have serviced the watch and offers a "lifetime warranty" with low cost regular service...

What say the aficionados?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. John R Smith Jul 3, 2014

As usual, Tim has replaced the hands with generic versions. So the minute hand is too short. If the dial has been refinished he will usually say so in the description.

3. John R Smith Jul 3, 2014

Thanks for your PM. I'll reply here, without giving away any confidences, for the benefit of other members. Tim does make it (reasonably) clear in his description that the dial has been refinished. He does do a very good job on servicing the movements, and the watch looks nice at first glance. The price you have negotiated is high-ish, but does include a new crystal, crown, and a service so taking that into account it's pretty fair. And these Seamasters with the arrow markers are not common.

But here's the problem - the watch is now completely undesirable for any serious collector. It's got a re-finished dial, the wrong hands, and a polished case. If you just wanted a nice watch to wear around the place, then that's OK - but just don't try to score any brownie points with it on the forums or with other collectors. And when you come to sell it (because, if you get serious about this, you will come to sell it) then expect to lose on it, perhaps heavily.

To be fair, when Tim bought it (very cheaply) I expect it was in a real mess. So he has brought it back from the dead. But it is no longer an original, collectible, vintage Omega.

4. dlukask Jul 3, 2014

I honestly don't give a shit about brownie points. I just want to be informed. I am admittedly not a "serious" Omega collector, though I am a designer and serious record collector, so I know the value in putting money into something and not wanting to throw it away on something that isn't going to at least retain its value – so your points are very valid and pertinent.

5. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Jul 3, 2014

I don't want to break your shoes but you did ask for the opinion of "Omega aficianados" regarding this specific watch.

John R. Smith from Cornwall definitely qualifies as a true expert for these specific watches. There's a chance he might actually know more than anyone else save for a few watchmakers and one or two pro writers. His depth of knowledge of mid-century Omegas always impresses. You asked for his opinion; he gave it to you :)

John is an excellent writer. I'm thinking he didn't mean "brownie points" in the way you literally took it. I think what he was trying to convey is that you should expect that most Omega collectors and especially the hard core snooty ones, won't respect that watch at all. Not you; the watch. It will sort of be like wearing a knock-off Hermes necktie. The people who know Hermes will know its a fakie and think you're a piker and the rest of the 99.9% of normal people who couldn't care less about Hermes in the first place still won't care.

UncleBuck, ChrisN, Stewart H and 3 others like this.
  6. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jul 4, 2014

Agree with all the above. I would add that Tim/omega addict is trustworthy and professional. I bought something from him, when it arrived it only had 4 hrs power reserve - I.e a clear problem. He took it back and fixed it, no questions asked.

citizenrich likes this.
  7. fjf Jul 4, 2014

When getting opinions here you should expect some jokes. I guess the sense of humor is not universal.

citizenrich likes this.
  8. Siac Jul 4, 2014

Be fair - he did also say "so your points are very valid and pertinent"

He respected the expert in his way, may be he mis-read the "brownie points" or was having his own joke about how hard-core snobs don't float his boat.

citizenrich and cristos71 like this.
  9. dlukask Jul 5, 2014

While I see what you're saying in terms of thinking I misinterpreted Mr. Smith, I think there are things to point out...

1. He wrote, "but just don't try to score any brownie points with it on the forums or with other collectors." The hypothetical act of me later posting it to a forum would afford any kudos intrinsically to be received by the poster to a forum - would it not? John wrote, "...with it..." So, as "literal" as you are calling me, I think "trying to score brownie points" would indeed be something addressed to me, not the watch. Warning me about an attempt to gain approval based on the watches merits is how that entire sentiment appears. While I respect the fact that this man is a local "expert," I'm not as taken with his prose.

2. If you're going to establish some hypothetical scenario to make your point about your interpretation of my accused misinterpretation, then you can have the Hermes aficionados think me a "piker" in your explanation if this isn't about me and more about the watch itself...

I came asking for an opinion, and obviously I got the most authoritative one, so I tried to be respectful. But to be honest, I private messaged him to ask him an opinion WITHOUT try to out the seller of the watch itself in any rebuke of its value. John took it upon himself to respond out in the open, which I thought was kind of an abrupt shift. Then cautioned me about buying it and trying to impress the masses with it because I would have been possibly ridiculed by hardcore Omega collectors...

It wasn't so much of a joke, as it was "it's a nice looking watch, but no one here is going to like it." I honestly appreciated the advice on going after something more original.

10. Poday Jul 5, 2014

As mentioned in his reply, it was posted publicly in an effort to give more people information/education, not as a slight to you. I think the "brownie points" comment was a lead up to what will happen when (if) you attempt to sell the watch in the future. Because it is no longer "original", the watch has no collector value, and you may have a difficult time selling it in the future. A watch that earns brownie points is a watch that will be easy to sell, possibly at a profit if interest in that particular reference rises.

Sometimes tone is difficult to convey within a forum like this (from both sides). I choose to assume the best, until I am proven to be incorrect.

11. John R Smith Jul 6, 2014

How true. Tone of voice is so often the crucial thing which is missing on the Internet - I think I really should have put a smiley somewhere in that post ;)

If I caused any offence of course I do apologise. It was by no means intended.

dlukask likes this.