Forums Latest Auctions Members

Buying Advice on this Seamaster Cal 565?

1. WatchmakerTheory

WatchmakerTheory Jul 18, 2016

I found this listing on Ebay, and I think the watch looks great.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-OME...769248?hash=item5b2780b0e0:g:tGcAAOSwkl5XgC8o

The seller has been mentioned many times on this forum, and it indeed appears that everything is in original and working condition.

Any thoughts/opinions on the watch would be helpful, and I would especially appreciate any estimates as to what a fair price would be. My guess is that the watch will go for ~$600-700, but could easily be worth more.

Thanks in advance!

s-l1600.jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg s-l1600 (3).jpg s-l1600 (4).jpg s-l1600 (5).jpg s-l1600 (6).jpg s-l1600 (7).jpg s-l1600 (8).jpg
  2. SteveHH

SteveHH Jul 18, 2016

What's the deal with Omega collectors and the love of mold growing on their watch dials? I don't get it, really. You wouldn't except that on an old book or LP or whatever. What makes it cool for Omega watch dials? Serious question. Leaky gasket or just left outside for 30 years or what makes these Omega dials go weird like this? I have a lot of vintage stuff, wrist and pocket watches going back to the 19th century and nothing has anything growing on it..

Fritz likes this.
  3. omegaaddict.com

omegaaddict.com Jul 18, 2016

Dial is original finish black, good. Missing tension ring in the crystal (no big deal). Movement looks good original and complete.
    The bad, wear through (gold) at the tips of the lugs. Not good, does not hurt anything as far as functionality so if you don't mind
    it's not a problem. It does hurt the value though.

WatchmakerTheory likes this.
  4. omegaaddict.com

omegaaddict.com Jul 18, 2016

Original Black dial Omega's are getting hard to find, The chemical make up of the finish used back then has a lot to do with the way it ages.There is nothing growing on the finish.

5. Willem023

Willem023 Jul 18, 2016

Start a separate thread and wait for comments to fly in

6. SteveHH

SteveHH Jul 18, 2016

No, collectors are touchy about their stuff, I don't want to be yelled at! :^) I get enough of that on my own music forum!

Edited Jul 18, 2016
  7. WatchmakerTheory

WatchmakerTheory Jul 18, 2016

As mentioned earlier, it's not mold. The dial changes color (and develops that pattern) due to natural exposure. Some people happen to like how it looks, myself included.

Generally, a nice, even patina won't really hurt the value for Seamasters like this. On something like an older Constellation, however, most collectors find patina displeasing.

All in all it's a matter of taste.

amcclell likes this.
  8. amcclell

amcclell Jul 18, 2016

Beautiful watch - love the black dial. I have a 1963 version of this case with a freckled, white dial and an old beads of rice bracelet. I'm not a serious collector but it is my favourite watch. I probably paid too much - $900 Canadian but it had the original papers. Alan