Forums Latest Members
  1. swarnich Jan 21, 2016

Hello all,

This is my first post. I'm really loving the quality of answers to find here, so I thought I'd give it a go.

I'm currently talking with a (private) seller about buying a Seamaster 176.001 (see photos).

This is my first vintage watch – which I've been building up to for years - but before I pull the trigger I thought I'd get some advice from people more knowledgeable than myself.

I’m pretty sure the watch is a 176.001, since it checks out with other watches being sold or having been sold (and it's clearly lacking a tachymeter). From what I can tell/read, some had an orange 24h indicator arrow (http://www.ebay.ca/itm/-/261586993594Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network?) others a white one (http://www.darlor-watch.com/omega_watches_1.html). This one has a white one.

So here’s the question: what should I worry about? Does it check out, and is it a good deal (he’s asking 1185 USD). Also, what is best practice for payment – what do you recommend?

Really appreciate it, thanks.

- Simon image.jpeg
    Udklip2.PNG Udklip.PNG

Udklip.PNG image.jpeg
  2. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Jan 21, 2016

Hi and welcome!
    The white chronograph seconds counter was more common, so the dial/hand configuration looks fine. Those aren't the clearest photos but it appears as if the case has been polished, it should have a visible sunburst finish on the top part of the case. Also, I'd ask for movement pics and inside of the caseback, to make sure the caseback says 176.001. The price sounds about right given the condition though. A full service and case refinish might be expensive but that is a pretty uncommon case reference so it might be worth restoring.

3. swarnich Jan 21, 2016

Thanks for the fast answer, Andy.

That was my thoughts too. I've asked for pictures of the movement and caseback, so far he hasn't sent any. Not the greatest of signs, I guess.

Do you have any idea what a restoration would cost?

4. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Jan 21, 2016

About 4 years ago Nesbits in Seattle quoted me about 1000usd for complete movement service and case refinish on a 176.0012. At the time they insisted they wouldn't do work on a case without a full movement service. Not sure if that's still their policy or price range.

5. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 21, 2016

Sometimes the indicator arrow is faded from orange to almost white. In either case, it is a trivial issue.

6. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Jan 21, 2016

I misread the original post, I thought he was referring to the chrono hand. And I agree it looks faded and that it is unimportant!

7. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Jan 21, 2016

It appears that is still their policy. Likewise, I was recently told by them that they would not do a movement service without a full case service.

8. swarnich Jan 27, 2016

I've now recieved pics of the movement and caseback.

The caseback confirms that it's a 176.001.

To me, the movement looks pretty clean.

What do you guys think?

And, this is being sold with a leather strap (original), but I think it was also sold with a bracelet. Does anyone know which kind?

Thanks, I really appreciate it.

image (1).jpeg image-1 (1).jpeg
    Northernman likes this.
  9. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Jan 27, 2016

Not sure if the correct bracelet was the same as it was for 176.007, but if so it originally was on the 1170 bracelet with 653 end links which are tough to find. The replacement is 1162 with 172 end links.

Movement looks correct. :)

swarnich likes this.
  10. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 27, 2016

The ads of the time actually show these (the group) on two or three bracelets.

swarnich likes this.
  11. swarnich Jan 28, 2016

Interesting stuff.

Would you guys look for a watch with bracelet that hasn't been polished thats slightly more expensive, or is this a pretty good find?

12. ohmega27 Jun 13, 2017

Hi.

Randomly, I stumbled upon this thread. You clearly either owned the watch and resold it, or never bought it all.
    I can tell because I am sitting here with the exact watch.

I didn't look up the original finish of the case, which I can tell now, is in fact polished.
    The movement checks out fine, and the dial looks pretty original to me, with some cosmetic flaws (that don't really bother me).

I'm going to ask the seller about the case, because he insisted that all the watches he sell are 100% original and unpolished.

I may request a refund.

Would like to hear about your dialog with the seller from last year, and what his asking price was. (Given that the watch hasn't been sold in a year).