Forums Latest Members

Buying a Watch on the Rebound

1. NT931 Sep 8, 2013

Sigh, that chunky 70's 176.007 on eBay kind of blew by my estimated price, so I didn't get it.

But having seen the attractions of retro-70's styled chronographs with blue dials and orange hands, I chatted with a friend of mine. He's into Seikos and he then pointed me in the direction of a 1972 Seiko with a blue dial and red hands on eBay.

Being slightly annoyed by the 'loss' of the 176.007, I decided to take a stab at another blue-dial chrono. I thought the bracelet looked quite quirky and unusual, certainly a different look from Omega bracelets, which are well made and comfy but which can be a little bland. Also, the Seikos weren't too expensive.

A Gixen-assisted snipe later, it was mine for $170, and arrived yesterday. This being my first Seiko, I was pleasantly surprised by the dial. And the bracelet looked really great in life, and is pretty comfy too! I like the unusual way the links are joined together.

All in all, not bad for a watch bought on the rebound I think. Any other experiences you guys have had about buying watches 'on the rebound' after losing out on another watch?

Seiko 6139-6012 wood.JPG

Hijak and alam like this.
  2. ulackfocus Sep 8, 2013

Nice catch. :thumbsup: Seikos just don't get the respect they deserve.

Having a list of primary targets and a back-up list for targets of opportunity keeps me and a few others on the path without much distraction. However, there's nothing wrong if the Golden Squirrel of Distraction bites you while you're on the rebound. You might get something you would have never known you like in cases (pardon the pun) like this.

3. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Sep 8, 2013

Nice. The squirrel let you off lightly this time. Could have done greater damage with another reverso.

NT931 likes this.
  4. NT931 Sep 8, 2013

You're so right. I was looking at an older 37mm JLC RDM on chrono24 longingly on my iPad when my wife tut-tutted behind me and brought me crashing back to earth. Always helpful to have a rational wife ...

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 9, 2013

Indeed, if this has a 6139 inside for $170 he has a version of the first ever automatic chronograph with a vertical clutch (and the column wheel that collectors like so much). I doubt you would be able to get that sort of "first" in any Swiss brand for that sort of money.

Cheers, Al

6. Hijak Sep 9, 2013

WOW, it seems you've done very well...even if it is on the rebound NT931.:thumbsup:

7. NT931 Sep 9, 2013

Yep, it's got a 6139B movement :) Bit of luck actually, with help from my friend who's into Seikos. I'm slowly finding out more about these vintage Seikos and the race to make the first automatic chronograph - fascinating stuff for me as a noob. I learn something new everyday!