Forums Latest Members

Buying a watch for the Mrs

1. BenKenobi Oct 20, 2018

Hi all, looking at watches for the Mrs at the moment, but seriously don't know which way to go.

Aesthetically she has settled on 3 options, Tudor Lady sub was voted out by her but I still don't mind it, gold plate does not do much for me though due to longevity but has full presentation, kept extremely well and still has original caseback sticker attached.

Next up is Breitling Superocean II 36, not bad, chrono grade, white clean and neat. Outer and inner box only

Last up is Ladies Omega Speedmaster chronograph, with full presentation

All 3 are around the same coin so import duties across all 3 are similar

Personally I like all 3, this is for her bday this year and want to get a real watch for her, all 3 are Automatics.
    What do you guys think?

33.jpg
    1.jpg
    3834-79-40-c6.png

2. Slowpoker Oct 20, 2018

Hi there,

I personally dislike them all, but I wouldn't touch the Tudor because it's gold plated.

The Breitling looks nice, I would consider it.

But the Omega... It would look stunning if it wasn't for those cherry red numbers on the dial. Plus there can be a few issues with these pre co-axial automatics in terms of servicing.

Just a thought but have you considered an Omega White side of the moon?
    P9207769.jpg

If you find it on the Grey market or at an AD at a discount it would be somewhat above the budget you're after. But you'll be getting a lot more for the money than the 3 choices above. However you may want to read up on a review about it before you decide, or better yet try one out yourself.

Overall the Breitling looks the nicest to me, but I would pick the white side overall.

EDIT: I also agree with buying the watch that she likes the best. Seeing as it'll be her who's wearing it, she would appreciate something she chose.

Edited Oct 20, 2018
    BenKenobi and kkt like this.
  3. D.D. Oct 20, 2018

My vote goes to Ladies Omega Speedmaster chronograph.

BenKenobi and Foo2rama like this.
  4. gostang9 Oct 20, 2018

My vote says get whatever she wants. Anything other than what she would love is not as much a “gift” for her as it is something for you.

ext1, rob09, Darlinboy and 7 others like this.
  5. CPRwatch Oct 20, 2018

My wife wears a Datejust TT , And she who must be obeyed chose it & wears it pretty well . In other words let your Mrs choose the watch she likes ,as she is the one who will be wearing it . image.jpeg

Edward53, BenKenobi, kkt and 3 others like this.
  6. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Oct 20, 2018

My wife doesn’t give a crap about watches. My main goal was to find her something that will survive accidental dunking. I got her an Ebel from my watchmaker that has stood up well. Also looks great. Also looks like a Skagen ... she’s wrecked a Movado museum watch and lost a Skagen. I tried a ladies Tag but she made me take it back. Does she want the watch or do you?

Khamenman, ext1, Syrte and 4 others like this.
  7. albertob Oct 20, 2018

+1

Syrte and BenKenobi like this.
  8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 20, 2018

Obviously buy number 1 the one she doesn’t like. Get divorced and buy more watches.

9. kkt Oct 20, 2018

Stay away from things that are plated. They do not last. Other than that, buy your wife what she wants, don't impose your tastes on her.

Khamenman, Syrte and BenKenobi like this.
  10. Lbreak Oct 20, 2018

My vote goes to number 2, but I do agree with the others that her preference should be the determining factor here.

Number 1 is plated. Number 3 seems to be using the speedy reduced movement, which is a modular movement and might have issues when it comes to servicing

BenKenobi likes this.
  11. kingscourt15jwls Oct 20, 2018

Cartier?

Unless you are absolutely sure she doesn't like anything that isn't a diver/chronograph

12. BenKenobi Oct 21, 2018

Thanks for the feedback all, I think she likes the Breitling more than the speedie, taking into consideration replies regarding servicing on the Omega looks like it may be Breitling. I have presented her with many options and styles over the last 3 months the speedie looks more dressy with a more sporty look for the Breitling, agree on the dial on the Omega the red does not do much for me. Love the WSOT but wifey is sometimes accident prone and the ceramic would come to grief, but jeez it looks sooo classy and clean. I will present her with your feedback that you have provided. I am all done myself on watches for the next 6 months after my Breitling 812 GMT purchase, it will take me all of 6 months for restoration. Cheers to all for the input. Regards B.

superfly and Lbreak like this.
  13. Renton Oct 21, 2018

would go for the speedie. the red numerals add some pop to the overall look. you could argue that it's easier to match outfits!

14. jljl123 Oct 21, 2018

Has she tried some on? My wife originally thought she’d want a 36mm datejust but by her 3rd time trying one on, decided it was too big.

Syrte likes this.
  15. BenKenobi Oct 21, 2018

No we are regional which makes things pretty hard, have looked at friends Breitling Colt ladies which is a few mm smaller, apart from using "try it on" feature on CR24 its pretty difficult. We will be in our capital next month but seriously our capital is pretty hopeless for the brands we are looking at, her previous and now dead watch was 32mm, which was a tad on the small size.

16. Dan S Oct 21, 2018

If you are flying, airports often have watch retail stores and/or duty free shops with watches.

17. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 21, 2018

18. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Oct 21, 2018

Get her a nice birthday present. :thumbsup:

19. 1972Steve Oct 21, 2018

Whatever happened to vintage small diameter women’s watches. The elegant ones from the 40s-60s. To me that is elegance and grace.

20. Millenary Watches Nov 15, 2018

Vintage Rolex Datejust or maybe a Tudor Fifty-Eight:cool:;)