Forums Latest Members

Buying a vintage omega and need help determining if it's authentic

1. MrJDA Aug 15, 2017

I recently bought a 1959 Wood Yacht and thought a 1959 vintage omega would be a great pairing. However, I know nothing about determining if it's real or fake. So I figured joining a forum with folks that actually have knowledge and experience would be a good start. Any help would be appreciated.

Here is one I'm currently looking at...

Real or fake?

[​IMG]

Edited by a mod Jun 1, 2023
  2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Aug 15, 2017

There are far better examples for a hell of a lot less money. Three red flags for me: Refinished dial, no movement photo and the discoloration of the date wheel. The date wheel probably explains why the dial was refinished and likely why there's no movement photo. I would set up a search on WatchRecon.com and watch the Private Sales listings here.

Edward53 and Tik-Tok of Oz like this.
  3. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Aug 15, 2017

It's real but really overpriced by close to three times.

As already noted "refurbished dial" is not good.

PASS

Temprus likes this.
  4. Tik-Tok of Oz Aug 15, 2017

I
    +1 . And I have only been seriously collecting for the last year or so. I'm a noob and not a Seamaster guy in my collection. And I agree with everything said above. The dial looks too brand new for a 1959 model, the photographs don't show the most important part of the watch, which is the movement, A lack of close-ups doesn't allow you to tell if the other parts of the dial and face were replaced with non-genuine parts or replaced imperfectly and without care. Some redials have numbers or hash marks if you will that are off center and angled photos hide this.

I would recommend searching the private watch sales forum this website and you will likely find something just as good, from a great seller, for less money.

The one piece of advice I've always managed to keep inside my dull little brain is, "buy the seller" and if you do that you will be happy. Or at least not unhappy at having spent a lot of money on something that was very much overpriced.

If you have time to spend on this check out some of the stickies at the top of this forum. In particular @ConElPueblo Learn How To Fish thread. That thread, and a few others, as well as some help from the great members, (who are professionals all) taught me everything I know in a short period of time.

(Which I've come to find out really isn't that much. Always more to learn here.)

Good luck hunting !

Edit: spelling.

5. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Aug 15, 2017

Good call. I meant to include the link in my earlier post. https://omegaforums.net/threads/learn-how-to-fish.52603/

Tik-Tok of Oz likes this.
  6. MrJDA Aug 15, 2017

7. Tik-Tok of Oz Aug 15, 2017

And I'm totally with you on the patience thing. I'm not good at it either. But I find if you do not slow it down and realize there's no reason to rush into a purchase you can occasionally get burned.

8. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Aug 15, 2017

I would like to amend my earlier post. "I would set up a search on WatchRecon.com and watch the Private Sales listings here" and quit looking at eBay until you know what you're doing.

sammysy, Ritzwatch and sxl2004 like this.
  9. Edward53 Aug 15, 2017

The hands on that watch are wrong, which I just found out by image searching the case reference. You could have done that too.
    Purchase in haste, repent at leisure! (I'm sure I have heard that somewhere before, or something like it...)

As a general rule, the desirability / value for money of a watch being offered on the Internet is in inverse proportion to how slickly it is presented. Unfortunately the reverse does not apply.

Tik-Tok of Oz likes this.
  10. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 16, 2017

No pictures of the wood yacht, how can I pair something with something I haven't seem

BenBagbag likes this.
  11. MrJDA Aug 16, 2017

Won't let me upload a picture.....but here she is https://goo.gl/photos/1Qznnr8rnkkiZgXw9

perks713 and Tik-Tok of Oz like this.
  12. Edward53 Aug 16, 2017

Nice boat! It deserves a better watch than the ones you've been looking at. I think something like this would go nicely:

New 018.jpg

Here's the yacht btw.

upload_2017-8-16_16-29-10.jpeg

13. MrJDA Aug 16, 2017

Is that for Sale?

14. BenBagbag Aug 16, 2017

I believe the yacht has been redialed at some point.

Spruce likes this.
  15. Edward53 Aug 16, 2017

Sorry, it's a prized possession! I just posted it to give you an idea. To be fair, the chronometers aren't common but most older Seamasters in those chunky cases look good on the "engineering chain" type of BOR bracelet.

16. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 16, 2017

Cool

Just think as watch buying like buying yachts look at a lot and don't buy the first 3 ;)

Here is a 1959 also
    ( pretty sure it is but just come of night shift zzzzzz )

image.png image.jpeg

17. MrJDA Aug 17, 2017

Is that a watch you're selling?

18. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 17, 2017

Not this one :D

Sent you a PM