Forums Latest Members

Buying a Speedy thru A.D. In NJ/NY area

1. MJ2008 Guest Apr 29, 2014

I am presently looking to buy my first good watch . I am looking at the Speedy Pro and also at a Rolex. My question is going thru an a.d. in my area is it unreasonable to expect to get a price below the listed retail price or do Omega a.d. adhere to full list prices. I'm new at this and would prefer going through a jeweler in business for quite a few years than going to an internet seller. Thanks for any advice anyone can offer.

2. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Apr 29, 2014

tinger likes this.
  3. ulackfocus Apr 29, 2014

4. omega1337 Apr 30, 2014

Why would you buy in state? Go across state lines, and not pay tax. I bought a watch from NY by the way, free shipping overnight, no tax, with a GREAT discount. I am on the west coast.

Alicia's Jewelers if you must buy from NY. Ask to talk to Sam.

5. ulackfocus Apr 30, 2014

From the NJ-1040 Form - pertinent portion underlined in bold:

"45. Use Tax Due on Internet, Mail-Order, or Other Out-of-State Purchases (See Worksheet and instruction page 35). If no Use Tax, enter ZERO (0.00). ………."

I don't know if California's state tax return expects payment or even asks for this information, but in NJ if you're caught skipping out on this you get fined and penalized with interest attached. The only way to get around this is to buy an item in Delaware and take possession of it in Delaware also.

Man, some bad information is going around this place.

citizenrich likes this.
  6. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Apr 30, 2014

If you're going to try and be a tax cheat, at least keep it to yourself. a lot of our tax system is based on voluntary compliance.

Lol this open rebel speak about tax cheating and flaunting sales tax is exactly what will eventually cause US Tax authorities to further tax the crap out of any and everything that moves.

And, ulackfocus is correct about your bad 411

7. omega1337 Apr 30, 2014

How is this different from me buying from an on line shop that doesnt charge tax for California. I guess my mistake was that I'd assume the person would know the tax laws for his or her state. What you're saying essentially, it's bad to buy out of your state? So I shouldnt shop any place that doesnt charge tax in California? I am not getting your point.

So the watch shops in NY are illegally calling to offer me discounts if I buy from them?

I never said NY, I said accross state lines, so another state that wouldn't violate his own state's tax laws.

Edit: meant to say that I never said NJ.

8. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Apr 30, 2014

Use tax is pretty much you paying taxes on any purchase made in the US across state lines as you are REQUIRED to put it down on your tax forms so your state can collect from you. This prevents states from hurting the economy of another state and local businesses. Now as for those who do it that's another story...

9. omega1337 Apr 30, 2014

So I should never buy from an out of state company that doesnt have a presence in my state? We are talking about state tax here.

10. MJ2008 Guest Apr 30, 2014

Just to get it back on subject. I just wanted to know if a.d. Stick to the full list price or do they discount a certain amount. I like dealing with a reputable brick and mortar jeweler so that I don't have any concerns about counterfeits, grey goods etc. I also like the idea of dealing with someone who will make sure the fit is good and if I have any issues at a later date I can go back there and I don't have to be concerned about an email that is no longer valid. I just want a fair price for a good watch. No drama, no intrigue, no worries.

11. ulackfocus Apr 30, 2014

Where did I, or anyone, say that? All I'm saying is don't advise someone to buy out of state to avoid sales tax - which is EXACTLY what you did in your first post:

You're basically telling him to break the law.

Feel free to buy new merchandise from anywhere - just make sure you pay what you owe according to your state's regulations.

12. MJ2008 Guest Apr 30, 2014

I'm going to buy a Timex at Macy's down the road from me. I'm out of here.

ron n likes this.
  13. ulackfocus Apr 30, 2014

Make sure you get 10% off for using your Macy's card.

ron n and benc1855 like this.
  14. benc1855 Apr 30, 2014

I'm new to the watch game, but based on what I've read on various forums, it seems you can find discounts from authorized dealers but they will be no where near what you would receive from a grey market dealer or by purchasing a used one from someone's collection. As to where in the NJ/NY area you could find an AD offering a discount, I can't help you there.

15. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Apr 30, 2014

holy fecking strawman, batman.

who told you to never buy
    something from a company with no presence in your state? Seriously: do you hear voices in your head ??

take a chill pill, sit down, and, relax.

ron n likes this.
  16. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member May 1, 2014

This thread is starting to remind me of the crap on WUS that everybody gets bored with. :(

17. Jimmy Jim May 1, 2014

Which is why I pretty much stay here on OF.

citizenrich likes this.
  18. ulackfocus May 1, 2014

Sadly, that's abolutely correct. If misleading information is given, it needs to be corrected though.

XCKDwiki.jpg

What's also sad is that as this place gets bigger, it will be impossible to avoid. There's no test for membership.

19. citizenrich Metal Mixer! May 1, 2014

I agree. Wholeheartedly!

20. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member May 1, 2014

I wonder if we need a sticky that deals with all the hoary old questions and urban myths?

The signal to noise ratio on the forum seems to have deteriorated recently & it's the quality of discussion that drew most of us here in the first place.

timeismoney and Gavin like this.