Forums Latest Members

Buying a polished 3594.50 – thoughts?

1. ffej4 Survey Man May 4, 2015

Hey guys,

As some of you know, I've committed to the idea of buying a Speedy. I actually did just pull the trigger on one – it's a 1999 3570.50 in almost mint condition. I love the 1498/1499 bracelet the 3570's came with in the late 90s.

Anyway, I also have my eye on a 3594.50, which is the 57 reissue from Omega. I believe they produced this model from 1999-2003/2004. It is basically the same watch as the 3570 – same case, crystal, movement, pushers, bracelet, etc. The only thing that differs are the hands, bezel, and dial. There are also no engraved words on the caseback. Also, interestingly enough, the 3594 is rated for only 30m WR, whereas the 3570 is rated for 50m. Not sure why... Maybe it's a typo on Omega's site? Otherwise, there must be a structural difference between the 3570 and 3594 and the differences are not only cosmetic, as I thought they were.

I'm looking at a 3594.50 on eLady's site, but it has been polished (like almost all of the used stuff they sell). From what I can tell, it has only been polished either once or very few times, as the edges and engravings on the bracelet clasp still look like they're intact.

Would you guys totally avoid buying a polished watch? I don't personally care too much – but, other than it not being 100% original due to the polish, I don't see any other issues. I'll probably never have the case polished if I buy it, because I like the idea of preserving its originality as much as possible.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As always, thanks for any and all input, guys!

2. italy1861 May 4, 2015

I don't have an issue with a modern watch that has been polished as long as it's been done correctly... If you like the watch and the price suits you I'd go for it...

ffej4 likes this.
  3. SeanO May 4, 2015

if the finish matches original or if you're happy with the new finish AND the price is right then you're the one wearing it.

Personally it wouldn't drive me crazy but if you're a little OCD it would bug you to death.

ffej4 likes this.
  4. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! May 4, 2015

This is the model I started with... before I changed the hands and bezel and bracelet... and about to change more hands... :)

In any event... it's been serviced a good four times since I bought it, and the case and bracelet have been refinished every time. If those pics are of the actual watch, I don't see any issues?

Tom

ffej4 likes this.
  5. ffej4 Survey Man May 4, 2015

Thanks for the input, guys.

To me, the finishing looks pretty spot on. eLady has phenomenal reviews, so I'm assuming they do a pretty good job on their watches.

This is a tough decision, but for $1970 it's hard to beat!

6. threeputtbogey May 4, 2015

It's hard to tell due to the bright lighting conditions, but they seem to have replaced the proper brushed and finished surfaces and the case edges still look thick and crisp. I like it.

ffej4 likes this.
  7. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter May 5, 2015

Bottom left bezel looks kind of dented

ffej4 likes this.
  8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector May 5, 2015

Thing is you will be looking for a 3750 before long, deep down you know you will. As @ulackfocus says if you ask the question you already know

ffej4 likes this.
  9. lillatroll May 5, 2015

If you are unsure then I think you should look a bit more. If it doesn t sing "buy me" straight away then I won't buy a watch. If you do buy it and then see an unpolished one a few weeks later then it might annoy the crap out of you unless it is a huge jump in price. If you are happy with it and the price is a deciding factor then you should buy it. Try to buy the best example you can for your budget.
    I would be happy to pay that price for that watch if you wanted it as a daily wearer but as a collection piece I would keep looking.

ffej4 likes this.
  10. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! May 5, 2015

It sort of IS a 3750 with not much added expense... but not something that everyone wants to mess with. For me, the hour, minute, and sweep seconds are going to be changed out (again!) with the leaf hands and "special tail" from the FOIS. Something a little different.

Tom

[​IMG]

Eve and ffej4 like this.