Forums Latest Members

Buying a New Watch - Decision Making

1. timjohans Sep 26, 2016

Hello,

I am looking at purchasing a new timepiece, and can't decide between the 39.7mm Speedmaster Man on the Moon with leather strap, or a watch from an independent German manufacturer. The one in question is the Dornbluth 99.1 - link here:

http://www.dornblueth.com/flash.php?p=collection&s=refcal_991

I am purchasing new.

What would you go with and why? I know they are two different class - (one being a chronograph) of watch, but I am interested in your opinions.

Which one would keep its value the best long term?

Cheers,

Tim.

2. demollo Sep 26, 2016

Tim,

I think by 39.7 Speedmaster you mean so called FOIS ( First Omega In Space). It is a really awesome watch. I would definitely go with this one and not only because i am biased ( we are at Omega forum after all :) ).

https://www.omegawatches.com/watches/speedmaster/moonwatch/chronograph-397-mm/31132403001001/

As for the value, Omega will lose some with time but the independent manufacturer watch even more. You will have a really hard time selling independent manufacturer watch if you decide to part with it. FOIS should be easily sold if you the need arises.

My recommendation: go with the FOIS :) and of course first rule is : buy what you like more :)

Dannyomega likes this.
  3. padders Oooo subtitles! Sep 26, 2016

Tough choice. The FOIS is lovely, an in house homage to the earliest (pre moon landings) Speedmasters, originals of which go for 10s of thousands of $ but the modern recreation is a slow seller and certainly less favoured (and loses more over RRP) than the standard Moonwatch, particularly when you consider that it only comes on a leather strap. Dornbluth have a very long wait list and make watches in tiny quantities so do actually retain a decent proportion of their value for a small independent. You will lose money in the short to medium term whichever you get, probably circa 25% immediately so just go with the one you like the best. Based on numbers, The Dornbluth could be argued to be more 'special'.

I can't explain why but it always sets my teeth on edge when I see the 'Man on the Moon' description for the Speedmaster Pro. Is it called this in any Omega literature or just the more usual 'Moonwatch'? I am always tempted to correct the poster but realise I am just being ultra pedantic! The FOIS discussed above isn't actually a Moonwatch of course, because of the reasons I mention above, but it is a space watch of sorts!

Edited Sep 26, 2016
    Davidt and Larry S like this.
  4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 26, 2016

Both nice watches
    Both going to loose $ the minute you open the box ( omega less + better resale )
    Both I would be happy to wear ($5k I would buy up to 3 vintage watches myself )

Really have to work out which one suits your style and lifestyle.

Buying slightly used you could negate the $1000 price drop the minute you open the box and get a say $6500 watch ;)

5. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Sep 26, 2016

So you obviously can't go wrong with the speedy as an iconic and sought after time piece with a rich history. I'd look for a used one from a reliable source. But if the watches from Dornbluth speak to you, it is wonderful to support an independent and their perseverance and vision. You will have something on your wrist that few people have. I have two from RGM for that reason and yes I waited 9 months for the first with an in house movement and a month for the second which was a Valjoux based Chrono. In either case watches are not an reliable investment so I would not be too concerned about resale value. Most important is to buy what you like.

6. Frunkinator Keep tickin & tockin, work it all around the clock Sep 26, 2016

Which one have you wanted longer, what's the price difference, why do you care about long term value (crazy flipper like me or is this a keeper),
    If you owned one... Would you still feel the need to buy the other?
    These are the questions to ponder.

Larry S likes this.
  7. relaxer7 Sep 30, 2016

i'd go used and buy two watches :)

8. SeanO Sep 30, 2016

if you're looking to spend that sort of money on German why not Nomos rather than Dornbluth?

ac106 likes this.
  9. jcs2000 Oct 1, 2016

It makes most sense to me to go iconic. U can get a better price with Omega through trusted sellers. There is somewhat of a size difference between the two watches you are considering. Independent brands tend to lose much more value in the secondary market, but if you plan to keep forever then can buy what you like. I would suggest you consider a more modern speedy especially one with an auto wind mechanism if u want a chronograph function. Also you may want to consider AquaTerrier as the design aesthetic is more similiar to the other watch you were looking at. If you really prefer the look of the German watch check out IWC--several models are very similar.

10. Ree Oct 1, 2016

I'd go with FOIS. Though something with hesalite crystal would even be better.
    For me 321/861/1861 Speedmasters have the most unique, racing-derived and moon-related stories, plus beautiful limited editions, that I've never even considered buying anything else.

11. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Oct 1, 2016

How long will you need to wait if you buy a new Dornblueth (at one point it was almost a year). You can also customize your watch and have the movement engraved.

I'd go with the Dornblueth. Great story and quality watchmaker.

12. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Oct 1, 2016

How long will you need to wait if you buy a new Dornblueth (at one point it was almost a year). You can also customize your watch and have the movement engraved.

I'd go with the Dornblueth. Great story and quality watchmaker.

13. meganfox17 Oct 1, 2016

Get Both[​IMG]

larryganz, Larry S and Tubber like this.
  14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 1, 2016

Given the choice of the FOIS and the Dornblueth, I'd also go with the Dornblueth...

Taddyangle and Larry S like this.
  15. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Oct 1, 2016

Another thing to factor in:

Who will be able to service a Dornblüth? ... where you live now... where you might be living in 20 years ... What if they fold 2017?

That is an inherent risk of all microbrands if they stray of the beaten ETA path...

Not necessarily a deal breaker... But better think about it before paying...;)

16. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Oct 1, 2016

The long arm of Mrs MF17...:D :thumbsup:

17. Canuck Oct 2, 2016

The Omega gives you the option of an automatic wind chronograph, with Calendar. I think you need to take a very close look at what features in the watch you buy that you would find that are to your advantage, and whether you would be happy living without those features! A quick scan of these German watches tells me they don't offer an automatic or a Calendar model, or watches with both of those features. As for re-sale? Should it happen that you consider selling the German watch, I predict it will be a tough sell! These seem to me to be a stripped watch at rather a large price! Generally, most folks today would likely buy the watch WITH the features, hand-made aside! Unless you buy one of each.

18. padders Oooo subtitles! Oct 2, 2016

Umm with respect, what are you talking about? The OP specifically described the FOIS which has neither auto wind or date. The FOIS is a very tough sell for both ADs and second hand owners.

Edited Oct 2, 2016
  19. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Oct 2, 2016

In my opinion...A well designed independent watch should be serviceable by a good watchmaker. I don't see that as an issue.

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  20. ck1109 Oct 2, 2016

Between those two, I'd recommend the Dornbluth over the FOIS. More interesting watch, made by hand by an independent watchmaker.

In terms of resale, I think you're gonna lose a bit regardless of either watch but since Dornbluth makes limited quantities and there is generally a wait time, you may find someone willing to pay more for one.

Taddyangle and Larry S like this.