Forums Latest Members
  1. CoxAnonymous May 16, 2013

Hello. Long-time lurker, first time poster. Needing some advice after much googling and few answers. First, you should know I am not the connoisseur many of you are... this will be my first legitimate watch; one that doesn't double as a calculator. I am about to graduate with a bachelor's degree and wish to commemorate these years. I have a budget of around $500 and I particularly love the Seamaster watches.

My question: If I am flexible on the specific model of Seamaster but truly need a larger watch case, what would you recommend?

I have learned alot about redials, frankens, and a few other common pitfalls noted here in the Omega forums (thank you!). Now that I know how to avoid landmines, I need to ensure I get the right watch. I've tried on a couple 36mm watches and they look almost comical. My reaction (and wife's to me) was "Wow, my wrist is enormous". I had to ask the clerk if it was a men's or women's watch. The larger, diver-styled cases wear well but dream watches like the PROPLOF will have to wait. I seem to stumble across 43-44mm cases but don't know how to more effectively locate these. I've seen the f300hz models with a large case, crop up several times but i'm not convinced I want to go quartz over mechanical. I've read the review of this model and the advice seems to be, 'go mechanical!'

Example 1 (bit more vintage):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/200872356140?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Example 2 (bit more modern):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/350794607054?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

At the end of the day, I suppose its personal taste but I want to know how to get the right case on this tree-trunk-of-an-arm of mine.
    Thank you

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 16, 2013

The F300 is actually neither quartz nor mechanical, it uses a tuning fork, so its an electric watch, but its design makes maintenance expensive and parts difficult to source. The automatic version of the other Seamasters you listed however has a very well supported and strong Calibre 1120 mechanical movement which should provide decades of solid use.

CoxAnonymous likes this.
  3. CoxAnonymous May 16, 2013

Thanks! I wasn't aware that the parts were that difficult to come by. Any advice on how to better access large cases? (e.g. key phrases on the bay).