Forums Latest Members
  1. chipsotoole Jul 26, 2017

Etiqutte Schmetiquette! Your wrist your watch. If you get into collecting vintage watches the chances are your attitudes might change a little once you've read into the subject....The debates over Frankens, repaints, and redials will rage on like a storm surge on the OF pretty much forever. :)
    If you end up selling or trading more, be prepared to make a few mistakes along the way. You'll always get honest (if sometimes contradictory) advice here..just don't go throwing down large amounts of cash without some degree of knowledge.
    Oh and vintages watches coming out of South America, Ukraine, India, South Korea, Thailand, and the Philippines, tend to need an extra level of scrutiny..
    Conelpueblo..gold capped? Well I never.......!

mikechi22 likes this.
  2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jul 26, 2017

I think the issue with frankens is clarity about what, exactly, a franken is. Parts replaced during service (as long as they are correct) don't qualify as franken, in my book. That includes crowns, and dials (in extreme cases). Hell, Omega replaces damn near everything during a service and I doubt anyone here would call it a franken.
    Hands replaced with incorrect hands from another watch, incorrect movement from another watch (machined to fit) or most anything out of Ukraine, among other things, would be examples of frankens.

Larry S, jumpingsecond and mikechi22 like this.